Lemon Blue Cochin breeding

rosaroca

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2015
Have a question I only have one pair of lemon blue bantam Cochins and would love to get him some more ladies. But I’m having a heck of a time finding any. Would prefer not to get hatching eggs. My rooster is Lemon Blue and I’d like to get lemon splash or brown red hens for him if I can’t find other LBs hens. If I can’t find those,. Would splash hens from a bluexblue breeding program work? Could I at least get pullets to breed back to him later to get LB chicks? I know the basic genetics for LBs but searching for another way to get there is I can’t find the birds I want

Would splash hens from a bluexblue breeding program work? Could I at least get pullets to breed back to him later to get LB chicks? I know the basic genetics for LBs but searching for another way to get there is I can’t find the birds I want
The F1s of LB x Splash they will be all Solid in color(E/ER). F1s crossed back to ER/ER, you have 50% chance of getting ER/ER and 50% E/ER chicks, they look very similar when chicks so you will need for them to be grown to find a difference between ER/ER and E/ER

The F1s of LB x Splash they will be all Solid in color(E/ER). F1s crossed back to ER/ER, you have 50% chance of getting ER/ER and 50% E/ER chicks, they look very similar when chicks so you will need for them to be grown to find a difference between ER/ER and E/ER

so ER/ER is what? Splash?

ER/ER is birchen. The lemon blue, lemon splash and brown red are all the Birchen pattern.
The splash hens are extended black (E) so when you cross the offspring will have one Birchen gene and one extended black gene.
When you breed those back to lemon blue or which ever color with Birchen the Birchen parent will pass on a Birchen gene and your crossed birds have a 50/50 chance of which gene they will pass on. Either the Birchen or extended black.
Your ones that end up with the Birchen gene will be back to your lemon blue, lemon splash or brown reds.
The gold tones (lemon or other) will usually take a couple months to really show up so thats why you'll have to raise them all for a while to tell.
IMO it might not be quite that simple because extended black birds sometimes have other genes just to make sure they're black all over. If your splash birds have any you might get your Birchen with a bit of their color getting lost.
You'll just have to try and see. It's a very doable plan though.

ER/ER is birchen. The lemon blue, lemon splash and brown red are all the Birchen pattern.
The splash hens are extended black (E) so when you cross the offspring will have one Birchen gene and one extended black gene.
When you breed those back to lemon blue or which ever color with Birchen the Birchen parent will pass on a Birchen gene and your crossed birds have a 50/50 chance of which gene they will pass on. Either the Birchen or extended black.
Your ones that end up with the Birchen gene will be back to your lemon blue, lemon splash or brown reds.
The gold tones (lemon or other) will usually take a couple months to really show up so thats why you'll have to raise them all for a while to tell.
IMO it might not be quite that simple because extended black birds sometimes have other genes just to make sure they're black all over. If your splash birds have any you might get your Birchen with a bit of their color getting lost.
You'll just have to try and see. It's a very doable plan though.
Wow. Thanks so much. That’s exactly the kind of info I need.

one more question. If I find a Brown Red rooster and cross him on Regular splash hens (from blue X blue parents) what will I get?
Mostly a Solid Blue roosters with some gold on hackles(if the hens carry gold, because if they are silver then the hackle will be light yellow in tone) the hens will be solid blue

Back
Top Bottom