Lemongrass in laying box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilapot, Feb 9, 2017.

1. lilapot

lilapot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    Yesterday, my hen(or hens) started laying. To make their laying box better, I was wondering if dried lemongrass would attract them or
    repel them. Help?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't think they would care either way. They need a good thick bedding and some fake eggs to show them it is safe. They also don't like change. I might wonder if the lemon grass flavor might seep into the eggs as the hens body heat might moistens them back up a bit while sitting in the nest, though I have read posts of people putting different herbs in the nestboxes for various reasons so maybe I'm wrong.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed - not sure that chickens have the greatest sense of smell. I would not use the leaves or outer stem of lemon grass, since they are covered in silica spikes which are most certainly not comfortable (I tried to pull a plant out of the ground many years ago - my hands were cut to ribbons [​IMG]). Lemon grass seems like an expensive nesting material and not necessarily the best - I'd save it for Thai curries personally.

1 person likes this.
  4. lilapot

lilapot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    Well, I tried it out and they like it! 2 first eggs today, one old one layed for the first time this year. We have wayyyyy too much lemon grass. Any other ideas for things to spice up their laying boxes?!?!?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, I'm sure the new nesting material is only coincidental to the laying.
    It is nearing spring after all, and the days are getting exponentially longer,
    some of mine are ramping back up too.

But I'm sure you can find lots of people who will swear that aromatics create incredible production and health....just type 'herbs' into the search box.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by