length of duck motherhood

un-named

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
How long will my call hen raise her babies? They were born mid July and she is still with them. I have a buyer for the 5 babies but I don't want to sell until she is through with them...it would be heartbreaking for me to take them from her. I will prob keep one of her offspring.

Quote:
4-6 weeks. if your keeping at least one of her babies just sell the rest. as long as she has at least one she should stay happy. I normally sell all but a few until she decides her babies are old enough.

My momma duck (Welsh Harlequin) is still attached to her 2 babies that were born in June. She spends time with the two and then goes back to her mate.
I'm not sure if I'm going to allow her to have any more babies, because I also would find it difficult to separate them. However, it's great you are keeping at least one.
smile.png

105600_dux.jpg

I still see wild moms with their babies even when they're 5 months old! They're very social. Some moms encourage their babies to leave when she wants to breed again and some babies leave on their own before then. But, most babies can leave their moms when they're fully feathered, at around 6-8 weeks.

they do stay with them but thats only because they where raised together and are stil friends when the babies seem more indapendent and when mom dosn't attack you for taking her babies take them away because by the time she decides they don't nead watching over anymore

Back
Top Bottom