Lenny is sick. Does this look familiar to anyone?

melalthia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Boulder Creek, CA.
hi all

If i could have some help identifying an illness, i'd be much obliged. First off, here are the questions I'm supposed to answer:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. -

8 month old Easter Egger. I'm not sure here weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Found her flattened out on her poop board a week ago and very weak. We isolated her and put her antibiotics recommended by a friend who is an non-working avian vet. She was on them for a week... and she has started to perk up. But today i found her with an eye that is crusted shut. And she still seems pretty thin. See pictures below:

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No, she's been completely fine. The friend who is an avian vet checked out the run and the coop and said it was pristine. There are a couple of possibilities we were thinking of when we thought this was a GI problem, but now I'm not sure if it would cause this.

1) some of the flax seed we use to throw in the lay pellets got wet and moldy.
2) we had thrown weeds in the coup a couple days before and were wondering if it could have done something.
3) The compost bin had been in the run and we know rats had visited them. We had thought it could be rat poo transferring something like Botulism. (They are out of the run now, btw)

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

A few days ago we weren't sure but she seem to have a full crop. The last two it's been pretty empty.

6) How does the poop look?

The first day of quarintine her poop was runny. Haven't been able to see any of it since her isolation, but her vent seems unblocked.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Like i said... she was antibiotics for a week. She is quarantined with a heat lamp with food and water.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat her ourselves if possible. She's a favorite in the coop but i don't think we are willing to take her to the vet because of cost. However, if its something that could spread to the entire flock I might be swayed to make the expense.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

Back
Top Bottom