Less and less eggs.

I have 3 two year old hens, and 3 one year old hens. The youngsters are laying, but the older girls have slowed down. I think one has stopped. No one is molting yet, but yes, it has been hot, some days really hot. 4-6 eggs/day is down to 2-3.

I do the wet mash, made with cold water, as a mid-afternoon snack. I've also started watering the area of the run that's in shade. The chickens freak out at the sight of the watering can, but they sure do like scratching and lying down in the cool, damp earth.

I did the wet mash today and the chickens went crazy for it! They loved it and look a lot more content. Also did the ice water and they were slurping away!

I found two eggs this morning in the original prefab they had as babies. I Think it is cooler in there. You may look around to see if they are laying in other places.

I know they go under my shed a lot but I took a flesh light under there and couldnt find any eggs.

I am sure one day I am going to smell rotten eggs and find it very quickly.

The other thing about the wet mash is that you can use up the powdery bits of feed that end up at the bottom of the bowl or storage container. I save the powder in a tin and use that to make mash. This means almost no wasted feed!

And yes, the chickens go nuts for it as a mash, when they wouldn't touch it dry. Silly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom