Less and less eggs.

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So over the past couple weeks my hens egg production have dropped. Not drastically but to a point of concern.

I have 9 laying hens, and I would get 7-8 eggs a day. I am now getting around 4-5.

I checked the vent of all the chickens and there are a few that look a messy. Which I assume is sickness of some sort?

Going to go out today and give the chickens vents a good cleaning with a drying.

I have noticed a lot more droppings in the nesting boxes. Which I never had before.

Finally, I have one chicken (runt) who’s feathers are very ruffled and meh looking.

I have noticed some completely black tar droppings which can be a sign of internal bleeding? And I have also noticed some pure brown diarrhea droppings. Which could be a sign of bronchitis or E. coli OR eating a fruits/veggies with high water content.

None of the chickens are acting lethargic. All are super active and eating. Going to check their crops later today when I clean their messy butts.

Not sure what is important information so kinda dumping everything I am seeing.

What's the weather like? Birds will drop production in very hot weather, for example.
Have a fecal checked at your veterinarian's, looking for possible parasites. Any mites or lice? Check at night with a flashlight.
Poo will vary in color depending on feed consumed; are they free ranging and eating berries of some sort?
Mary

I’d suspect heat could be the culprit. I’m in Ohio, so less intense than you in temps/humidity. But, my flock will start to drop production in really hot weather. This is directly linked to the fact that they hang out in the shade instead of eating, and drinking. Sure, they get let out and will drink and eat a bit first thing, but will then stick to the shade. Yes, we have water and feed in the shade. So, I’ve been able to counteract this in a few ways with success:

1. Shade- normally we grow bottle gourds up the fence in the S snd SE side of the run. These produce big leaves, and respire to create a cool environment. Beware that they will grow and grow, so we have issues with them growing up and onto the metal roof, then a storm comes and blows them off the roof, which causes some of the vines to die at the point of the roof. They will all die back spectacularly at 32F.

2. Water in trays (not nipples)- they seem to drink more water from trays. Ice cubes in the tray help too.

3. Once their run is fully shaded by 2 pm, I will go out and make a mash of feed with water, add large ice cubes (I use the large silicone cube makers sold at Walmart), sprinkle scratch or fruit or marigold petals on top for interest. Then the chickens all come out and eat it up - they are getting water with their feed. Usually at this point I’ll:

4. Fresh cool water. Nothing like bringing in fresh cool water in for the curious chickens to check it out and drink up.

Overall, if their water intake decreases, so does their egg output decrease.

Yours are a bit young to be molting yet. You may see them stop laying to molt somewhere in Aug-Nov, depends on the chicken.

I have 3 two year old hens, and 3 one year old hens. The youngsters are laying, but the older girls have slowed down. I think one has stopped. No one is molting yet, but yes, it has been hot, some days really hot. 4-6 eggs/day is down to 2-3.

I do the wet mash, made with cold water, as a mid-afternoon snack. I've also started watering the area of the run that's in shade. The chickens freak out at the sight of the watering can, but they sure do like scratching and lying down in the cool, damp earth.

I’d suspect heat could be the culprit. I’m in Ohio, so less intense than you in temps/humidity. But, my flock will start to drop production in really hot weather. This is directly linked to the fact that they hang out in the shade instead of eating, and drinking. Sure, they get let out and will drink and eat a bit first thing, but will then stick to the shade. Yes, we have water and feed in the shade. So, I’ve been able to counteract this in a few ways with success:

1. Shade- normally we grow bottle gourds up the fence in the S snd SE side of the run. These produce big leaves, and respire to create a cool environment. Beware that they will grow and grow, so we have issues with them growing up and onto the metal roof, then a storm comes and blows them off the roof, which causes some of the vines to die at the point of the roof. They will all die back spectacularly at 32F.

2. Water in trays (not nipples)- they seem to drink more water from trays. Ice cubes in the tray help too.

3. Once their run is fully shaded by 2 pm, I will go out and make a mash of feed with water, add large ice cubes (I use the large silicone cube makers sold at Walmart), sprinkle scratch or fruit or marigold petals on top for interest. Then the chickens all come out and eat it up - they are getting water with their feed. Usually at this point I’ll:

4. Fresh cool water. Nothing like bringing in fresh cool water in for the curious chickens to check it out and drink up.

Overall, if their water intake decreases, so does their egg output decrease.

Yours are a bit young to be molting yet. You may see them stop laying to molt somewhere in Aug-Nov, depends on the chicken.

Ah yes, heat has been an issue, the birds have their beaks open and wings apart from their bodies, they have some cool areas to lay down under a tree in their run, but I am currently making a chicken path for them to hide under the shed. It is A LOT cooler under there and one of their favorite spots to go during the day on the days I let them free roam.

I will do your suggestions, very helpful and eased my worry, thanks a ton!

I have 3 two year old hens, and 3 one year old hens. The youngsters are laying, but the older girls have slowed down. I think one has stopped. No one is molting yet, but yes, it has been hot, some days really hot. 4-6 eggs/day is down to 2-3.

I do the wet mash, made with cold water, as a mid-afternoon snack. I've also started watering the area of the run that's in shade. The chickens freak out at the sight of the watering can, but they sure do like scratching and lying down in the cool, damp earth.

I attached my hose to the fence and put the mister on and get the area damp for them too! They dont understand the mist, but man do I think they enjoy it after the mister turns off.

Ah yes, heat has been an issue, the birds have their beaks open and wings apart from their bodies, they have some cool areas to lay down under a tree in their run, but I am currently making a chicken path for them to hide under the shed. It is A LOT cooler under there and one of their favorite spots to go during the day on the days I let them free roam.

I will do your suggestions, very helpful and eased my worry, thanks a ton!
Good luck!!

Some people wet down a shady area bc the chickens will dig down and nestle into the cooler, damp area. In fact, our barn cat loves the area under the pole beans- we string the supports in an inverted V shape, do shady and cool and often damp in there…when we can’t see the barn cat, she’s in the beans. And whenever a chicken has gotten out they have always nestled into the beans or peas.

And shade cloth can help immensely.

Gourds early season
C37C75F6-80CB-4B6C-9A9D-D5EE3301AC8E.jpeg

Gourds later season.
2D3D5138-70A2-48D2-84A4-CF58C055767E.jpeg

You live in a perfect area to grow gourds and even get dried gourds at the end of the season.

Good luck!!

Some people wet down a shady area bc the chickens will dig down and nestle into the cooler, damp area. In fact, our barn cat loves the area under the pole beans- we string the supports in an inverted V shape, do shady and cool and often damp in there…when we can’t see the barn cat, she’s in the beans. And whenever a chicken has gotten out they have always nestled into the beans or peas.

Love it! I am currently growing cucumbers that have these beautiful big leaves that are taking over, and its a great snack for the chickens! The growth isnt as impressive as that yet!

1656436059449.png

Back
Top Bottom