less eggs

I know chicken lay less in the winter but our 11 chickens went from getting 7-9 a day to 1 or 2. We also changed foods recently can either of these explain the big difference?
If you are in the northern hemisphere, it is likely the combination of the decrease of daylight hours and molting that causes less production.

My birds went from 13 eggs a day to one a day last year.

I have 40+ laying hens and pullets, and get only about 6 eggs a day.

Chickens need 12-14 hours of sunlight to lay an egg. In the winter, there is an insufficient amount of sunlight.

Molting could also be a reason. Are your chickens molting?
When molting, they are likely to stop laying eggs as well.

I know chicken lay less in the winter but our 11 chickens went from getting 7-9 a day to 1 or 2. We also changed foods recently can either of these explain the big difference?
How old are your birds, in months?

Do you free range?

Yes, a feed change might slow things down.
Describe the change and why.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1638100032570.png

I have 40+ laying hens and pullets, and get only about 6 eggs a day.

Chickens need 12-14 hours of sunlight to lay an egg. In the winter, there is an insufficient amount of sunlight.

Molting could also be a reason. Are your chickens molting?
When molting, they are likely to stop laying eggs as well.
I've only noticed a little molting.

How old are your birds, in months?

Do you free range?

Yes, a feed change might slow things down.
Describe the change and why.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2911810
they are approx 6 1/2 months old. We are in Northern PA (USA).

They shouldn't be molting at 6.5 months.
How long have they been laying?

Changing from crumble to pellets can be a bit tough, the different texture might throw them off at first. Think about running some of the pellets thru a grinder(blender/food processor) for the first week or so.

They may be laying out in their range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom