Lesser of 2 evils - hatching in incubator with no viewing window or...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourblessednest, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ourblessednest

ourblessednest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    moving to the homemade styrofoam bator?

We are incubating in a renovated holding cabinet that is doing a beautiful job. My only dislike is that we didn't have time to retrofit the door to where it has a window. SO...for this batch I can either take my chances and try not to disturb the hatch as much as possible or make a styrofoam bator like Miss Prissy's and try and hatch in there so I can see what is going on. I so want to watch them hatch [​IMG], esp if one struggles and needs help.

Any opinions/advice/experience?

For what it's worth, temp and humidity drop VERY little even with opening the door for a less than a minute, and stabalize quickly. If I peek in even for a minute, temp maybe drops 1-2 degrees and humidity from 50%ish to 40% or so, then within 5-10 minutes we're back up. It's not like I couldn't check on them at all, just not as much as I would like. Would I NEED to see them more often than daily?

I started making the styrofoam bator before DH brought this one in, so I could finish that one. Would that be better so I could see them?

2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    You could put a web cam in there or something to that effect. I think that you should make a styrobator also cause you're going to want it anyways [​IMG]
    So, I think you should do both. lol
  3. ourblessednest

ourblessednest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    OOOHHH - I didn't even think of a web cam! That would be awesome.

And yes, [​IMG]... I'm already putting together the styrofoam incubator. I am unsure of my technical ability, luckily DH is handy! Just something about 'making it yourself', you know? Lol! This is so addictive.

Thanks for the response!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    You can build the styrofoam one, trust me. If you need help, BYC is just a click away!
    (Not that we are enabling you or anything!) [​IMG]
  5. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    What about one of those peep hole things that you have on doors to look at who's on the other side? It may be a good thing that it's closed up because I find that the big viewing window just makes for lots of 'watching time' [​IMG] aka time wasted just looking and looking and looking - maybe you'd be less inclined to keep 'willing' them to hatch NOW! 21 days is a LONG time when you're hatching [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Isn't that the truth!!! Good thing mine have hatched 2 days early so far!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by