lessons to pass on for you build a coop

mistylady

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Ohio near Coshocton
Lesson 1
No, one gallon of paint will not be enough. Buy at least two.

Lesson 2
Water based paint will not wash out of your favorite shirt but it will wash out of your holey pants you had planned to just toss out after this.

Lesson3
Paint drops will not land on the ground if there is any part of your body or hair they can land on.

Lesson 4
Paint will cover 4 inches square if it is painted on but 18 inches sqaure if spilled.

Lesson 5
The soft sand spot you put out for the chickens to fluff in ... other animals will enjoy also before you get the fence up.

Lesson 6
Do not dig in the forementined sand for any reason the next day. You will have have been gifted by the animal that used it for something other than fluffing.

Lesson 7
No the tape measure isn't lying. The distance must have changed after you cut the board. (banging head on door)

Lesson 8
Any nails you dropped you will find. Just drive over the area once.

Lesson 9
The sharp edges on the chicken wire will poke through gloves. They will also fit right under your fingernails. And scratch the paint if you try to slide the wire into place.

I'll probably have more later .......... Murphys Law is in effect here! LOL Everyone feel free to add building lessons you learned the hard way! Oh and paint barn siding before you put it up. Learned that way too late.

lau.gif
It's all so true!
gig.gif

hehehehehe

You can also add one more...if you have not gotten to this one yet you will be forewarned

When you install hinges, check them because one of them will be on either backwards or upside down!

I love these. I still found primer on my arm on the backside of it, two days after priming.
gig.gif

My daughter was still picking paint out of my hair two weeks after I painted.

I just went through everyone of your brilliant points. Wish I had read that last week. You forgot the one about after you build it, they won't like it for a few days, so you feel like you justed wasted your days off.

Lesson 10: [contributed by dear husband]
Do not renovate coop and build hardware cloth run while recovering from your second shoulder surgery. Rehab will be painful and last 2 months longer than necessary.

Hilarious! And so true... we're about 90% done with building the chickens' coop and covered run and will probably try to see how many of your lessons we can "learn" when we paint the coop!

Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom
lol.png

How about this one....build nest boxes along with other items before putting chickens in coop and don't wait til last minute cause any change in coop will scare the poop out of your poor 16 week old babies!!
barnie.gif

Build a coop that's fits a lot more chicken then you thought you would get.
You start with 6 and end up with 18 and would love to have some more.
This chicken hobby is an addiction
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom