Let 8 week old chicks free range?

DaveJ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
it occurs to me it may not be good to let them out in the yard all day every day. They are feeding on worms, bugs and all the good things in my garden/yard area all day long. It seems like they've decided that their chick feed is not so great any more. Should I restrict them to the run for a few more weeks?

Last edited:
They do like fresh foods. If the range is good they will do a decent job of keeping themselves well fed. At eight weeks they are past the most critical stage in their needs for growth. Leaving them out to free range when everything is growing at that point won't hurt them.

Thank you. I believe it's a very good range. They spend a lot of time at the compost pile digging worms and larvae. They really like the clover and crawlies in the weeds.

Couldn't find NEW POST button so let me ask here: ANT mound? Shouldn't that be a "park & play?" (Whitewater paddling term) ... The should stay and feast but peck and bolt. Answers?

Couldn't find NEW POST button so let me ask here: ANT mound? Shouldn't that be a "park & play?" (Whitewater paddling term) ... The should stay and feast but peck and bolt. Answers?
At the top of each forum and the top and bottom of each thread .is a start a new thread box. That will allow you to start a new thread with your question. As to sitting and scratching at an ant mound. It depends on the whether they like ants, most don't because o the formic acid in them. As to bolting it depends on the ants in the mound. I wouldn't fault them if it were fire ants.

Thanks for the reply. "Bolt" may have been strong. These were not fire ants or anything of that nature. Rather, the birds simply had no interest. Didn't know about the acid in ants. Learning every day. They did find some worms, though!

Back
Top Bottom