Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

This post is literally so perfectly on time for me to see. My boyfriend and I really want to one day get a caucasian sheppard, but were not 100% sure about that yet as we have small animals (finches, budgies, pigeons) in the house.

Do you think you could point us to a good, cold hardy breed of dog who would get along well with ducks, maybe chickens and wouldn't bother the smaller birds? That's keeping in mind that we have our disabled pigeons free in the house most of the time.

It might be a lot to ask, but I do know we'd of course have to put in a lot of training for the dog not to bother small birds, afterall they are dogs.

I will add, that I'd personally love to have an outdoor dog. I think that'd be a generally more fulfilling life.
I sometimes compare my raven to being like a puppy, and it makes me sad he doesn't get to be outside much for now, due to his disabilities and past trauma. So since i have the choice, I'd rather let the pupper enjoy the nature and all the fresh air i can offer.
I admire your attitude about rescuing animals .
Caucasian Shepherds that have found their way to USA are mostly the extreme version of the breed. In realty a casual Caucasian Shepherd does not need too much training but needs guidance and a job to do. If you can not provide a real job for them they are not the breed for you especially the Caucasian Shepherd that are available in USA are too serious too Guardian too powerful for you and many other people who do not own a serious farm. A breed that does all the job of Caucasian Shepherd for you but is not extreme version in USA is Called Armenian Gampr . They are surprisingly common here in Ontario Canada but I am not sure about USA.
Do not worry about Caucasian Shepherd or Armenian Gampr hurting your pets small or big . They are extremely patient with small animals . They are programmed to be gentle with livestock and just protect them.

I love this!

My wife and I are considering a dog and are heatedly debating breed.
We live in a suburban area of NYC, near the water and a large park with light hiking. There are lots of neighborhood dogs of all sizes being walked up and down the street.
Our home has a lot of stairs between floors (I think 13). Our back yard is a bit over 4000 square feet, fenced, with a friendly flock of 5 hens. There's also a lot of garden beds back there.
We're have a lot of neighbors along our property.

We have two indoor cats.

We like to entertain, and also to hit the beach and the trails.

We both grew up with dogs but haven't had one in many years. I had two black lab/cocker spaniel mixes when I was a kid and she had most recently a Chihuahua/Weiner dog mix, and a rottweiler when she was younger.

What do you think?

I love this!

We live in a suburban area of NYC, near the water and a large park with light hiking. There are lots of neighborhood dogs of all sizes being walked up and down the street.
Our home has a lot of stairs between floors (I think 13). Our back yard is a bit over 4000 square feet, fenced, with a friendly flock of 5 hens. There's also a lot of garden beds back there.

We have two indoor cats.

We both grew up with dogs but haven't had one in many years. I had two black lab/cocker spaniel mixes when I was a kid and she had most recently a Chihuahua/Weiner dog mix, and a rottweiler when she was younger.

What do you think?

I love this!

We have two indoor cats.

What do you think?
Let's see. I think the most important part of your dog should be " other dogs and pets friendly " since you have that park beside your home( which I am jealous ) and you like to entertain and sometimes hit the beach.
Since you did not mention the size I go with all size dogs.
Keeshond if you like small (35 pound ish ) dogs. They are perfect retirement era dog breeds that will not destroy your backyard garden if you train them and do not pick a fight with passenger dogs although they may not greet all of them .
Medium size dog : Golden retriever or Labrador . You can't go wrong with any of two and they love beach and water and super friendly with passer by dogs( sometimes too friendly some may say)
Ps: An Elegant Rough Collie is also a choice but they are not water lovers and they might destroy your garden bed if they have no job to do .
Potuguese Water dog: checks all your need and very easy to train.

My suggestion to you : Go large and choose between a Leonberger or Newfoundland or Bernese Mountain dog . They all are all good in water and can watch and potentially save some people but none of them are serious hiker companion for long distance. They are all majestic and high maintenance but you will never worry about any of your neighbors complain about bad behavior .

I admire your attitude about rescuing animals .
Caucasian Shepherds that have found their way to USA are mostly the extreme version of the breed. In realty a casual Caucasian Shepherd does not need too much training but needs guidance and a job to do. If you can not provide a real job for them they are not the breed for you especially the Caucasian Shepherd that are available in USA are too serious too Guardian too powerful for you and many other people who do not own a serious farm. A breed that does all the job of Caucasian Shepherd for you but is not extreme version in USA is Called Armenian Gampr . They are surprisingly common here in Ontario Canada but I am not sure about USA.
Do not worry about Caucasian Shepherd or Armenian Gampr hurting your pets small or big . They are extremely patient with small animals . They are programmed to be gentle with livestock and just protect them.
Oh I'm from iceland. So I'll have to import the pupper. But that is something i didn't know, I'll keep that in mind and do more research about the topic once I start looking for a breeder.
I would like the dog to watch over the poultry, would a flock of about 12 or more be enough for, lets say an armanian Gampr?
That's amazing info, thank you so much!

We have two indoor cats.

If you don't mind a big dog and have time for several long walks per day, get a Golden Retriever. They love everybody. They'll get along with your cats, protect your hens once they understand the hens are family, they'll make friends with every other dog in the local dog park, they'll welcome friendly guests into your home.
They can be super energetic as puppies, but with positive training and plenty of exercise, they'll be a super friendly, loyal and easy dog for many years.

My suggestion to you : Go large and choose between a Leonberger or Newfoundland or Bernese Mountain dog .
As a breeder I would be concerned about the stairs with my large breed puppy. Pups should not do constant stairs (and jumping) while developing. Just fyi on these breeds. Also, you will need to wait a very long time to get a Leonberger, they are rare. Newfies and Berners are easier to find. They do all love water and they're all wonderful family dogs.

As a breeder I would be concerned about the stairs with my large breed puppy. Pups should not do constant stairs (and jumping) while developing. Just fyi on these breeds. Also, you will need to wait a very long time to get a Leonberger, they are rare. Newfies and Berners are easier to find. They do all love water and they're all wonderful family dogs.
In my recommendation I do not mention how hard or easy the breed is to obtain depending on case. In this case I reckon they can afford an eight cylinder Engine dog ( Leaonberger, Newfoundland, Bernese) when a four cylinder ( say Lab or Golden R ) would definitely do the job. When I choose my next dog breed I would not hesitate to search and reach out far to find what I want .

A month or two extra search can potentially save us a lot of headache down the road by avoiding bad genetics. It worth the initial investment to find the best breeder possible.

In my recommendation I do not mention how hard or easy the breed is to obtain depending on case. In this case I reckon they can afford an eight cylinder Engine dog ( Leaonberger, Newfoundland, Bernese) when a four cylinder ( say Lab or Golden R ) would definitely do the job. When I choose my next dog breed I would not hesitate to search and reach out far to find what I want .

A month or two extra search can potentially save us a lot of headache down the road by avoiding bad genetics. It worth the initial investment to find the best breeder possible.
Sounds good but I'd still consider the stairs with these breeds.......

When it comes to large breeds , I would listen to you breeders. I never had a dog larger than 100 pounds before ,so I don't have the experience.
Well that would be me and I haven't not had a dog over 120lbs. for about 40years. So if you can trust my experience, stair's as well as a frequent jumps from trucks or SUV's and daily or frequent jumps to and from a tall bed are things you have to plan for with large breed dogs if you want to prevent pre-mature mobility issues. I baby gate my pups off from stairs until they are 18months, have a bench step up for my bed and a ramp for my SUV. It's not a fun situation when you have a 170lb. senior dog who can't stand up to go potty.....

Back
Top Bottom