Let them stay or coop them up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckrut, Jun 23, 2011.

1. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    We are 6 days into having backyard chickens. We got 10 each 10 week old birds. They were all together in the same pen when we got them. I have a 5'x6' coop with a 8'x16' run. I built them a roost tack in the run and roost pole in the coop. I have 3 birds that won't go into the coop at night and I have to take them off the rack in the run and place them in the coop every night. Nothing is ever 100% secure but the coop is 100% secure and the run is pretty predator proof (I hope). I live in VA so the weather is nice in the evenings and over night. Should I place them in the coop or let them stay out overnight.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I prefer mine to be in the coop because my run isn't covered. If I had a covered run, I'd let them stay outside.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on the confidence you have in your construction and how much risk you are willing to take. I lock mine in the coop at night because I know my run is not predator proof, just predator resistent. I free range (no fences) and accept that a loss can happen, but I feel that locking them in the coop at night is a pretty easy precaution to take.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I guess it depends on how "predator proof" your run is. If you've used chicken wire on any part of the run - I don't consider that predator proof, as racoons and larger predators can rip through that, even if used on the 'roof' of the run. If you've used the 2x4 welded wire, are there any roosts up close to that? Because a roosting chicken could easily be snagged if a raccoon scaled the wall of the run and reached in. Things to consider...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by