Let there be light

Danny C.

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
With daylight saving time tomorrow, still a ways in north central Texas to 14 hours of daylight. If I want to stimulate laying on my bobwhites, should I set outside pen light 60w to run for 3-4 more hours close to sunset? Or am I being impatient? First time for me since I began this hobby in December.
Got the incubator, got the grow out pen built and ready in garage, got the “let’s make this happen”.

Patience grasshopper! Inducing laying by artificial means is not good for the health of seasonal laying birds. Wears the bird out sooner, disrupts the natural pattern and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis. This is especially true with gamebirds.
I'm about 350 miles South of your location. My birds are starting to gear up and I suspect by the first week in April, I they will be laying. Some of my pheasants are already laying.

Last edited:
Patience grasshopper! Inducing laying by artificial means is not good for the health of seasonal laying birds. Wears the bird out sooner, disrupts the natural pattern and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis. This is especially true with gamebirds.
I'm about 350 miles South of your location. My birds are starting to gear up and I suspect by the first week in April, I they will be laying. Some of my pheasants are already laying.
Like the opener. Thanks for advise and will take your recommendation. Hard when someone is type A personality but will make sure I wait.

Back
Top Bottom