lethagric with possible internal bleeding. anything I can do? (fixed partial post)

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
I went out to deep clean the coup for spring today and after shooing everyone in to their little house i noticed blood spatter on the back of the coup. Not a lot but still major concern it didnt look to fresh so I cleaned and sat there to watch them come put once i moved the board. My little Rosetta had blood on her beaks. My first thought was fight and she was the instigator. Shes a fiery brat normally. But I noticed the blood drop on her beak tip was very fresh and seemed to be getting a bit bigger. I managed to catch her, whichwas worrying in itself. She had fresh blood on her beak and what looks like dried blood on her nairs. Shes very lethagric compaired to normal, but was pissy enough I couldn't hold her and take a pick at the same time and she got a drink after I put her down before going to hid in the corner. So no picks at the moment I will try later.
If shes bleeding internally IS there anything I can do for her? How the hell could that have even happened? Theres nothing that could have crushed her or hit her in the coup!
The others are leaving her alone so should I still set up a recovery pen in my room for her or leave her alone?

Last edited:
I went out to deep clean the coup for spring today and after shooing everyone in to their little house i noticed blood spatter on the back of the coup. Not a lot but still major concern it didnt look to fresh so I cleaned and sat there to watch them come put once i moved the board. My little Rosetta had blood on her beaks. My first thought was fight and she was the instigator. Shes a fiery brat normally. But I noticed the blood drop on her beak tip was very fresh and seemed to be getting a bit bigger. I managed to catch her, whichwas worrying in itself. She had fresh blood on her beak and what looks like dried blood on her nairs. Shes very lethagric compaired to normal, but was pissy enough I couldn't hold her and take a pick at the same time and she got a drink after I put her down before going to hid in the corner. So no picks at the moment I will try later.
If shes bleeding internally IS there anything I can do for her? How the hell could that have even happened? Theres nothing that could have crushed her or hit her in the coup!
The others are leaving her alone so should I still set up a recovery pen in my room for her or leave her alone?
I would remove her and watch her. She may have just bonked her head, if it’s not an injury and she keeps bleeding you’ll probably have to cull her before she really suffers.

Do you think she bumped the tip of her beak on something? I’ve had several of mine do that, if it breaks far back enough into the quick it will bleed a lot. In fact one just broke her beak tip yesterday. Usually they get over the pain quickly and resume eating and drinking quickly, but I brought this one in since upper and lower beak were both damaged. If her nares and back plumage are bloody, it might be from wiping the blood off there or tucking the tender beak into her feathers to protect it.
881D4C43-D33F-402D-85FF-43EF7271F742.jpeg

Monitor her and see what happens. If it is internal, I’m not sure what you can do for her. Lethargic is what has me worried most, although I do notice that my hens who’ve got their beak tip broken often sit in place, wipe their beak on their back feathers, and close their eyes.

Hoping she is okay and if its internal, only thing i can think of is a vet, but let me say this when i finally found one (cheaper then when i took a cat) for my coturnix broke foot it cost about 45$ for a home call another 40 for the treatment and another 5$ for bandaged and 3 days worth of meds. So 90 dollars

After some more observation I Think it may indeed be a cracked beak. Bleeding seems to have stopped for the moment and what I can see of her beak looks very similar to the pic up there after she washed the blood off drinking. It was pretty shocking initially with the blood spatter and her dripping blood like that, but I think it's not as serious as I initally thought. I did get a pick of her and as I said it looks very like the one up top.

It just looks like shes got a chip out of it now.
20210422_150641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom