Lethargic 2 month old chick

CyberCountry

Chirping
Aug 4, 2018
Apologies for the crap picture-- and ignore the photobombing lady in front. They knocked over their food right as I took this.

Okay, so I went out for my evening check and noticed that one of my 2-month olds was huddling and lethargic. Her eyes are alert, but she will only take a few steps at a time. She did take a few pecks of food when put in front, but water intake is unknown.

1) What type of bird , age and weight: Delaware pullet/chick, two months old. She does feel a slight lighter than the others.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: Pictured, just huddling and staying hunched over. Too young to be egg-bound.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?: Roommate "didn't see anything" yesterday, but she has the observational skills of a loaf of bread, so anywhere within the last 48 hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?: Nope, just her I recent lost three to injuries, but they didn't show these symptoms.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?: None that I can detect. I picked her up and gave her a look-over, but aside from being lethargic she doesn't seem bothered.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.: She might have gotten trampled, but that's a shot in the dark.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?: Eating mash grower (I hate it) somewhat with disinterest. I haven't seen her drink yet.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Unable to tell yet, they're on straw and there's 14 of them.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?: Nada. Thinking about separating her.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?: No vet available for this one. I'd like to have her, you know, not die, but she's a chicken and have no where to take her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pic attached.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: 8x6 wooden shed converted into a coop. Straw on floor, pine shavings in nest boxes.

It's worth noting that it's October in the north here, which means it's getting colder and they've been pressing together to keep warm-- which is why I have an inkling that she might have gotten trampled.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

20181022_182731.jpg

At that age, I would think it might be coccidiosis, just from her hunched and puffed up posture and lethargy. Corid or amprollium is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid per gallon of water for 5 days. Are you in the US? Until you get the amprollium, offer her sips of water with electrolytes. Can you add some of the treated water to a small bowl of the mash to make it like thin oatmeal, once a day fresh? Here is some reading about coccidiosis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/2/Coccidiosis Management/43/symptoms-and-diagnosis/

I'm in the United States and have no idea how to obtain those medications. If I had anything to give her I could easily make a mash. Any way to confirm coccy without a necropsy? I'm worried one of the other girls might have had it... I cleaned out the coop after that last death. I don't know how they could have gotten it.

Going out now again to get her out of there.

Sorry for the double post. Just went out to see her. Weirdly enough she's back to normal. I can't even tell which Delaware was having the issue. Thanks anyway haha. I'll keep an eye on her.

Most feed stores should carry Corid. All animals can get coccidiosis so all places that cater to farm animals should have it.
If it gets lethargic again, put a zip tie loosely on one leg so you can tell which one it is.

I'll make a stop by the feed store down the road tomorrow. I'll pick some up just in case she gets bad again. Good idea about the zip tie.

Corid keeps a long time so it is good to have on hand. I think if you get it fresh, expiration isn't for 5 years or so.

If birds are still growing, zip ties may need to be changed from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom