Lethargic 4 month old.

DolceVita

Songster
Apr 29, 2019
Spartanburg,SC
My legbar started acting lethargic yesterday. It’s almost like she goes into sleep spells. She was super hot yesterday and had her wings hanging but I put her in with a fan and she is now not hot. I have electrolytes in her water and rooster booster on her food. She still is acting very lethargic. What can I do? Am I missing something? The poop looks fine and I think the crop is fine too. Some one please help

Is she laying eggs yet? Maybe something going on with laying her first egg. I had a hen who was egg bound last week - was lethargic when I put her in the coop. She laid the egg shortly after, and has been fine since.

I would make sure that she has plain water available as well. They sometimes won’t drink water with electrolytes. She might be dehydrated or suffering from the heat. Giving the poultry vitamins/electrolytes orally might be good. What do her poops look like? If she has runny poops, I would be tempted to start some Corid for possible coccidiosis.

I would make sure that she has plain water available as well. They sometimes won’t drink water with electrolytes. She might be dehydrated or suffering from the heat. Giving the poultry vitamins/electrolytes orally might be good. What do her poops look like? If she has runny poops, I would be tempted to start some Corid for possible coccidiosis.
I will do that. She was treated for coccid a week ago for about 13 days because my Cochin had it. Poop looks normal saw one or 2 watery ones yesterday but none today. Just very tired looking. She eats and is alert when I get her moving. Should I give her rooster booster orally?

Is she laying eggs yet? Maybe something going on with laying her first egg. I had a hen who was egg bound last week - was lethargic when I put her in the coop. She laid the egg shortly after, and has been fine since.

She is 4 months I believe so I don’t think so. She is still on crumble

Can you get the vet to do a fecal test on this birds droppings? Then you'd know if it's coccidia or something else. If she had Corid for 13 days, that should have taken care of it if it was coccidia. I would make sure she has access to plain, cool, fresh water. Some birds just won't drink well if there is anything in the water. I never mess with the water when it's hot out, just fresh, clean water, for that very reason, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Rooster Booster is a brand—they have both liquid vitamins with electrolytes as well as granules for the food. I like Poultry Cell and Poultry NutriDrench for medicating orally. Dosage of either is 2 ml per day, given a drop or two at a time. That way you don’t have to depend on them drinking flavored water ir eating the food—they will get the boost right away. I keep water shaded all day, and refill it 2-3 times a day during the summer heat. My hens are pretty listless right now, and spend most of their time under shady bushes resting. If she will eat some chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, or you can get her to eat a little scrambled egg or tuna, that might perk her up.

OK so I haven’t had a legbar before but when I feel her neck it is hard. Above her crop. She still eats and drinks and poop looks good. If something was blocking her esophagus wouldn’t she not eat? She is breathing just fine. Should I try some oil? Would it hurt her? @Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom