Lethargic 5 month old rooster

natcon

Hatching
Oct 18, 2020
My rooster was fine a few days ago. I have 12 chickens, all are great except one. I noticed it 2 days ago. Ha eats a little and drinks a little but the other roosters have been picking on him so he just stays under the shop. He even let me pick him up today. Any advice would be great as I am totally new to this and really dig the chicks. Making me sad not knowing how to help the poor guy.

Sounds like he is stressed, stress can cause issues in chickens. How many roosters do you have together? Are they allowing him to get food and water or do they run him off?

I have 5 roosters and 7 hens. It just started 2 days ago. He ate a little papaya this morning. I will check and see if he is getting food. Why would the other roosters do that to him?

Roosters will compete for hens and they are sexually maturing resultings in fighting. One will always be dominant and so forth. That's why it's only okay to have 1 or 2 roosters living together. 1 rooster should have atleast 10-15 hens to himself.

I have 5 roosters and 7 hens. It just started 2 days ago. He ate a little papaya this morning. I will check and see if he is getting food. Why would the other roosters do that to him?
They're roosters, natures way. Too many roo's for seven hens. Too much competition and he is at the bottom of that roo pecking order. You will need to separate some roosters, or, rehome some.

Yes, I see now how the others are ganging up un him. Do I try to give the little guy away or keep him (I like him) and get rid of the bullys?

You really only need 1 for those 7 hens so whichever is your favorite keep. Or if you have seperate pen areas you could keep multiple away from each other.

Oh boy.. So I separated the little rooster that was getting picked on. He is eating and drinking, I think he is just scared. I left the 3 bigger roosters in chicken coop run and let all the chicks out and the one other rooster that I have that is also very mellow and has not attacked the other rooster and not one problem.
So do I get rid of the three aggressive males and just keep the 2 roosters?
I wish I had a separate pen but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom