Lethargic 6/7 week old

Taylor99

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
I have a 6/7 week old bantam that is acting off. Slept on the floor of the coop alone last night and today is lethargic and just not right. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3531.jpeg
    IMG_3531.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
Any lice or mites?

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Any lice or mites?

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I am very much a beginner but will be checking for lice/mites ASAP. I have not treated for coccidiosis and they are on an unmedicated feed. Since that photo she has been up a bit and running around and drinking. If there are no signs of mites/lice do you think it is worth treating with Corid or keep an eye for now?

I am very much a beginner but will be checking for lice/mites ASAP. I have not treated for coccidiosis and they are on an unmedicated feed. Since that photo she has been up a bit and running around and drinking. If there are no signs of mites/lice do you think it is worth treating with Corid or keep an eye for now?
I would treat them all for coccidiosis as it is just about the right age to start in chicks and your chicks shows the typical stance.

@Wyorp Rock quick question for you. We did as recommended with the Corid in water for a week. Seemed better for the most part but they have continued to have a bit of a head twitch. Now a few days ago there is blood in poop under roost. I started the Corid again thinking maybe it wasn’t long enough. They have been on it for 3 days and now another different one is showing the same lethargic stance as the bantam. Should I be worried about other issues? She is also twitching her head pretty often in addition to the lethargic odd stance.

Does she have any lice or mites?
Any pus or infection in the ears?
Crop emptying?
Photos of the poop?

Sometimes Corid may not be effective and a sulfa antibiotic or Endocox is necessary for treatment.

Does she have any lice or mites?
Any pus or infection in the ears?
Crop emptying?
Photos of the poop?

Sometimes Corid may not be effective and a sulfa antibiotic or Endocox is necessary for treatment.
Hi there I’m so sorry I didn’t see the alert for your response! I don’t see any lice or mites! Can that cause blood in poop? Crops all seem to be emptying. definitely no pus coming from ears.

If we do not have a nearby vet that treats chickens do you have any recommendations on how to get them on antibiotics if necessary? IMG_4521.jpeg IMG_4522.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom