Lethargic after rain storm

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Earlier this afternoon, I went to get her something, and accidentally left the crate door open. I came back and she was exploring our basement, so hopefully that means she is feeling better!

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
Glad she's starting to feel better, I really don't think it had anything to do with being in the rain. I've never had a chicken get sick from being in a storm including my silkies. But I'm glad she's feeling better!

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Glad she's starting to feel better, I really don't think it had anything to do with being in the rain. I've never had a chicken get sick from being in a storm including my silkies. But I'm glad she's feeling better!
Thank you!
She may have had something going on, and maybe the rain made it worse? It was a cold day, and she was stuck soaked in the rain for about 6ish hours, but so far it seems like she is the only one with issues.

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I would re-check the crop again in the morning just to make sure it's emptying.

If she's avoiding the heat, then turn it off.
Good that she seems to be feeling a bit better.
She's an EE so her egg could be any color, not necessarily blue.

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
I would re-check the crop again in the morning just to make sure it's emptying.

If she's avoiding the heat, then turn it off.
Good that she seems to be feeling a bit better.
She's an EE so her egg could be any color, not necessarily blue.
Thank you! I put the warmer light on since earlier today, she was standing in the cooler one like she was cold. I’ll try to move it back a bit, or switch to the cooler one, or turn it off depending on what she likes. 😊

I was afraid that she may be laying brown eggs like all my other girls, but I’ve never seen her in her nest box..but she could have a hidden stash..

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
So she seemed 80% better a couple days ago, so we put her back outside since she was lonely and giving us the stink-eye about being in a cage on a beautiful 80 degree day. She was fine for a couple days, but I just checked on her tonight and found her weak, light, lethargic, with her wings dropped to the ground underneath their roost. I took her in tonight and set her up with the heat lamp and more corid water. We went ahead and treated all 50 of our chickens for coccidiosis, and so far everybody is looking alright. I’ll try to see how she responds with her friend. It was so heartwarming seeing her and her friend reunite, and I’m sure she would recover better with her. We will try antibiotics tomorrow. 🙂 Does anybody know how long after treating with corid I can start giving B complex? In all honesty, we’ve had chickens for about 10 years and we’ve never had coccidiosis before. 🙃

Madhouse Pullet

Jaki 🐄 Moo
Mar 18, 2014
California
Omgoodness I am so bummed for your girl! :hugs 10 years is a long time, you obviously take good care of your flock. I really hope she recovers soon, wish I knew more about chickens to offer some help. Continue updating, I'm rooting for you!

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Omgoodness I am so bummed for your girl! :hugs 10 years is a long time, you obviously take good care of your flock. I really hope she recovers soon, wish I knew more about chickens to offer some help. Continue updating, I'm rooting for you!
Thank you,
She unfortunately passed away yesterday morning. We miss her. :(

chicken fam

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
GA, United States
I would suggest giving her a towel and keeping a thing of just water and a thing of water and electrolytes full at all times also keeping her inside and letting her have acess to food and a heat lamp. I would also suggest putting down doggy pee-pads and cabinet liner (too stop her from slipping) in a corner (mayby with a board across the corner so she can't escape) of your living room so you can keep an eye on her and so she has more room then in the box. hope she feels better soon! :hugs 🐔 oh I'm sorry i just saw your other post I guess I was to late sorry. :hugs :hit :hit :hit

Top Bottom