Lethargic and blind guinea with diarrhea

Jabebee13

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Ardmore, Oklahoma
A guinea fowl seems to be dying. At first I thought it was a bad leg. Then I realized that it's the eyes. It didn't poop on the car ride it had from boyfriend place to mine. It had diarrhea after not pooping. The bird doesn't make noise. I was able to hold it without it freaking out. Lethargic like it wants to sleep.

Coccidiosis.... No. How to cull a 3 week old? I can't turn it into meat. It's not sneezing. It doesn't have pasty butt. I should have said one eye refuses to open and the other I don't know if it sees but the eye wants to close to sleep. It has diminished appetite. Does not drink water. @GoodGuinea

It survived the night.

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_082912.jpg
    IMG_20201119_082912.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 5
It died at 1:30. Might have been coccoidiosis... After all. Hope the rest my flock is okay. It was in a separate box away from the rest. No bird autopsy. Its last poop was all white diarrhea. It quit eating.

Kitchen scissors. It was already dead too late. A two pack in the kitchen aisle at Wal Mart. The bigger pair. It has a safety covering. I would not let the next one suffer for a day and a half. Boyfriend didn't want me to kill it. I didn't want to kill if it was just sick and was able to get better. Boyfriend hoped today it would get better.

It died at 1:30. Might have been coccoidiosis... After all. Hope the rest my flock is okay. It was in a separate box away from the rest. No bird autopsy. Its last poop was all white diarrhea. It quit eating.
So sorry to hear it. I understand your boyfriend wanting to be optimistic (from your other comment). Culling a bird can be a wrenching decision, especially when you don't fully know what's going on. I've never had a bird with coccoidiosis, so I can't help you on diagnosis. Good job on keeping it separate from the rest of your flock. I hope they all stay safe and healthy.

You did the best you could. Don't beat yourself up wishing you'd ended its suffering earlier. All we can do is make the best decisions we can based on the info we have.

Back
Top Bottom