Lethargic and can't walk

Kananidino

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
Hello everyone. This is my first flock and I only received the birds this past Sunday 4/8. I am feeling rather hopeless and helpless and am not sure how to help her.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a Light Brahma, age 1 , she is my biggest bird.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, eyes closed most of time, she is unable to walk, she trips over her feet or struggles to move them. Her wings are drooping to her side. Very out of it and tail is tucked. When I found her she was laying on the floor of the coop and couldn't stand.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I found her Tuesday morning 4/11. 3 days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None that I could find. There are what look to be a couple scabs on her feet but I'm not positive how long they have been there.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I just received the birds and I do know she is near the bottom of the pecking order. I have seen her getting picked on. I do not know if it correlates or not though.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has been reluctant to drink but does have a huge appetite. She seems to struggle swallowing though. The food constantly gums up in her beak. Earlier today her tongue was at the back of her throat. It is back where it should be currently. She has been given her regular feed. I'll ask my mom what feed she started me off with. I have also made her a scrambled egg which she has eaten.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
The first day she has loose watery stool. She now is having normal poops I believe. They may have more white on them then normal. I'm not sure.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I gave her an Epsom salt bath and checked her vent for an egg. I did not feel anything. I have also been giving her vitamin and mineral supplements in her water and force feeding her water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Home care
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
First pic was when I first brought her inside after finding her. Second picture was the second day where she did a little better. Third and fourth pictures are of the scabs on the foot just in case they are something I should be concerned about.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is in a coop with a 10x10 chicken run. I use hay and leaf liter for the bedding. Inside she is currently on Aspen shavings

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_075205.jpg
    IMG_20230411_075205.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230411_171057.jpg
    IMG_20230411_171057.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230413_173829.jpg
    IMG_20230413_173829.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230413_173841.jpg
    IMG_20230413_173841.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 5
Oh, the scabs look like blooming bumblefoot. It’s an infection that happens when bacteria gets into a foot cut. Treatment is bathing the foot in warmish, Epsom salt Water for 15-30 min.
Best of luck.

Oh, the scabs look like blooming bumblefoot. It’s an infection that happens when bacteria gets into a foot cut. Treatment is bathing the foot in warmish, Epsom salt Water for 15-30 min.
Best of luck.
Oh thank you! is there anything else I need to do with it? Or does it clear up on its own using the Epsom salt baths?

Oh thank you! is there anything else I need to do with it? Or does it clear up on its own using the Epsom salt baths?
Bumblefoot’s pretty tricky, and the soaks don’t always clear up. If the scab gets bigger and is definitely bumblefoot, you can cut it open and let the pus drain, especially if her foot gets more swollen. If you don’t know FOR SURE that it’s bumblefoot (hard to tell just from pics) then I would say you should just do the soaks.

Congrats on your new flock! Chickens will be one of the greatest things in your life, I always somehow find myself outside just watching them go about their day.

I am terribly sorry about this lady that seems to be ill. For as much joy as they bring, the heartbreak and helplessness you feel when they are like this is incredibly tough.

We have always tried to raise our chickens as "chemical" free as possible. We don't have them vaccinated, no antibiotics and we mix our own feed. Contrary to popular belief, we rarely lose birds.

With that said, there are a lot of great folks who know a lot and are capable of diagnosing illnesses here on BYC, and despite having enough chickens for a small town, that isn't me 😉. However, our go to when we have a lethargic chicken like this and an ailment is really clear, we will usually scramble an egg with added beef organ "powder", apple cider vinegar in their water and a shot in their mouth, epsom salt bath, and shea butter on their feet and comb. We then lay them in a dog kennel with bedding, and keep them inside. We just repeat daily. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it sadly does not - id say 50/50.

Might not be the greatest advice or tip, but it is something we do. We also recently read something about sugar and chickens. The last sick chicken we had, we dissolved some sugar in water and blasted it in her mouth. She actually did make it after about 4 days of treatment. So maybe it helped? Not sure.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom