Lethargic and one eye not opening

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
At first I thought maybe she was just acting strange because of the elipse, we are east coast, NC so no darkness really happened....but this started just before the peak of it but none of my other chickens are acting weird and she is just sitting on the ground, hard to keep her head up and one eye doesn't want to open.....a couple of times when startled she stood up and then tucked her head into her feathers....but now she is back on the ground, head just hanging down. Weather is really comfortable, she has always been our most energetic and happy bird....she is 2 years old and the head of the pecking order.....her 2 buddies are standing next to her trying to keep her company or safe, not really sure what.....what do I do, what can this be? She was perfectly fine an hour ago. her eggs are healthy and clean, no crazy bugs or mites or anything......I did let her free range yesterday but it was a good day and we were outside with them....please help, she is the life of our flock :-(

Do you have a rooster who might have injured her? Does she seem to be losing feathers or having problems balancing or walking? Can you mix some electrolytes, Gatorade, or add a tsp of sugar to a cup of water, and get her drinking by placing a small lid up to her beak and dip her beak into it? Look into her eye for anything inside it (dirt, bubbles, gunk) and if you have some lubricating eye drops or saline, add some into her eye.

Do you have a rooster who might have injured her? Does she seem to be losing feathers or having problems balancing or walking? Can you mix some electrolytes, Gatorade, or add a tsp of sugar to a cup of water, and get her drinking by placing a small lid up to her beak and dip her beak into it? Look into her eye for anything inside it (dirt, bubbles, gunk) and if you have some lubricating eye drops or saline, add some into her eye.
No roosters....she was happy and fine and now she just isn't.....I'm going to bring her inside and try and get her separate and offer her some electrolytes...

No roosters....she was happy and fine and now she just isn't.....I'm going to bring her inside and try and get her separate and offer her some electrolytes...
Really is a bummer that there aren't more poultry etc vets....plenty of domesticated animal vets but not backyard chickens....

Back
Top Bottom