Lethargic and placid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alexandra317, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Alexandra317

Alexandra317 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    Awww... one of my chickens doesn't seem well. VERY lethargic. Allowed me to pick her right up. No flapping. Checked her vent. No lice/mite litter. Little bit of yellow poop on her feathers. She was sluggish to leave the pen this morning.
    I brought her inside. Put her in a medium crate with clean hay. Provided Probiotic water. She's panting (Anxiety of being inside and in a crate alone?). Been healthy and free ranges a few hours each day. 21 weeks old. Passed up the spaghetti treats I was handing out. She was just standing there with the flurry of beggers all around her.

I hope it's something simple like laying an egg and not a fatal disease. But, my gut says no.

2. parsnipples

parsnipples Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    This is just how my Mavis started out, 5 days on and im at my wits end x i really hope you manage to get her well again. im no chicken expert and have only had mine for two weeks, but i have read and read everything i possibly can. app if a chicken is acting off and has a dirty vent it could possibly be vent gleet, thats the thing though, as im slowly finding out,,, it could be many things,,,its just a case of what do you treat first x good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What is her crop like? (large and squishy, hard, etc.) How old is she, and has she ever been wormed? Does she seem thin? I would lubricate a finger with oil or Vaseline and feel around for a stuck egg in her vent. Does she waddle upright like a penguin when she walks? To make an accurate diagnosis, I need more information.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Is her abdomen enlarged/hard? That might indicate a stuck egg. I would worm her if you can't find any other possible causes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Alexandra317

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    OK! I'm gonna take her out and examine her more closely, as you suggested. All my chickens are 21 weeks old. My first ever experience with chickens. How and what do you worm them with? She now standing at the crate door, panting and wings held in cooling position. I'm not sure if she feels really crummy or the anxiety of being out of her element is aggravating her. Be right back.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It may be egg laying related. I've had hens act similarly just prior to laying a large egg, usually first of the season.

She's young, have you considered treating for coccidiosis? I think I would do so just to be on the safe side. While younger chicks are most commonly affected any age bird can crop up with a case of it. It never hurts to at least rule it out as a possibility since it is a fast killer. And if by chance that is what this is, you may just save her life.

7. Alexandra317

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    Rectal exam didn't find an egg. She's panting and holding wings out a little to cool off, I guess. still lethargic. No flapping. No running away, while we were in the pen area. No hard lumpiness to guts or throat. She's shutting her eyes and very quiet. ... awwwww... my poor baby. I'd be surprised if she lives through the night... Holy cow! What about the rest of them? They are ALL together, night and day since the last weekend in May when they arrived. They free range for several hours a day from about 10 a.m. til about 2-3-4-5 p.m. ONLY when I'm home and can make my presence known. I have 2 goats and a cat and a Great Dane. I can't imagine what she picked up.

8. Alexandra317

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    I serve ACV in their water. I don't have any other first aid supplies on hand. TSC is about 35 miles away.

9. Alexandra317

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    I've asked several people about worming. They said, no they didn't. I've asked about vaccinations. Another blank look. I did get all the chicks vaccinated for mareks when shipped and fed them medicated crumbles until I switched to scratch and laying hen pellets and oyster shells all mixed up. I throw out DE when they dust bathe. I've asked and asked and asked. What do I need on hand? What should I do periodically ... nothing. I clean out the coop and wash out the water troughs. Throw in some ACV into the water. Sometimes I will put in probiotic instead.

10. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Sounds like coccidosis to me treat with corid. I had one hen do this and I waited too lo.g she was 22 weeks. Sadly she didn't make it. If you can't get corid tonight get some buttermilk and feed it to her. Will coat her insides and by some time. Try to offer her some scrambled eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by