Lethargic baby chic

Issica

Hatching
Jul 25, 2020
Hey all I need suggestions how to care for a baby chick that just doesn't seem to be thriving. She eats and drinks just fine with help but seems to week to walk on her own. I have given her molasses and water but it hasn't helped much. Its day two of this behavior....

Check her vent area to make sure that she does not have poop stuck to her vent. Chicks can suffer shipping stress, and may become dehydrated or have pasty butt. If you cannget some Poultry NutriDrench you can give her a couple of drops daily, and try to get as much water into her as possible by dipping her beak often. Sugar 1 tsp per 16 ounces of water would be good in place of molasses. Sprinkle a few crumbles of chick feed around her feet on a clean paper towel to try and interest her in eating. Do you have a thermometer under your source of heat? Keep her warm, but not too warm. 90degrees F is about right for the first week of life.

Thanks so much for the reply. She is the only one of the 15 day old baby chicks I got a few days ago with this issue. Her heat source if good, no pasty butt, I got the Nutridrench (thanks for the suggestion) she eating and drinking great when I pick her up and take her to the source. Tonight I noticed she has a REALLY full crop. Now I'm worried she's been eating the hemp bedding in the box?! Can anything be done about an impacted crop ina three or four day old chick? She is just so week. She can barely stand and doesn't walk well at all. I'm surprised she has lasted so long honestly. :(

Back
Top Bottom