Lethargic breathing weird

Slicker chicker

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
I have a hen That’s almost a year old. She is a little labored in her breathing and makes a sound with each breath. She keeps wanting to close her eyes like she’s just absolutely exhausted. She isn’t hanging around with the others much and she usually hangs around my dark Brahma. She is eating some food and I’m assuming she’s drinking I haven’t seen her but I’m gonna guess she is. she is definitely not as heavy as my other Brahma but being that she doesn’t usually let me pick her up. I can’t tell if maybe this is her normal? Cuz she’s usually very skittish, but she’s allowing me to pick her up and I’ve given her some poultry cell, as I am out of Nutri drench at the moment… I have had a horrible run of mareks in my coop or suspected mareks, I guess I should say. Any ideas? I am so frustrated with these losses!!! You can hear the clicking when she breathes. Could it be mareks? Worms? Vitamin deficiency? Coccidia? I’m sorry I’m on here all the time asking questions but the vet I took my rooster too knows a little but we don’t have an avian vet around here and I don’t personally know any people that know stuff.. I am so attached to my girls that each death hits me really really hard. I did buy some Purdue recover plus that I was adding to their water for about the last week because I had some dirty vents and some pretty poopy eggs and that seem to clear everything up and I doubt it’s from that but is it possible? Other than that I have mostly been feeding new Trina nature wise layer feed 16% and they get black soldier fly larva and a little bit of crack corn most days but not every day I keep their coop fairly clean and I use pine bedding. I change their waters every day, I am just at a loss I don’t know what to do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7684.jpeg
    IMG_7684.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 7
The clicking and labored breathing could be a sign of a leaking air sac from trauma to her chest, neck or elsewhere. Can you feel of her for any air that has collected under her skin? Let us know what you find. There could be another reason for the clicking.

I have a hen That’s almost a year old. She is a little labored in her breathing and makes a sound with each breath. She keeps wanting to close her eyes like she’s just absolutely exhausted. She isn’t hanging around with the others much and she usually hangs around my dark Brahma. She is eating some food and I’m assuming she’s drinking I haven’t seen her but I’m gonna guess she is. she is definitely not as heavy as my other Brahma but being that she doesn’t usually let me pick her up. I can’t tell if maybe this is her normal? Cuz she’s usually very skittish, but she’s allowing me to pick her up and I’ve given her some poultry cell, as I am out of Nutri drench at the moment… I have had a horrible run of mareks in my coop or suspected mareks, I guess I should say. Any ideas? I am so frustrated with these losses!!! You can hear the clicking when she breathes. Could it be mareks? Worms? Vitamin deficiency? Coccidia? I’m sorry I’m on here all the time asking questions but the vet I took my rooster too knows a little but we don’t have an avian vet around here and I don’t personally know any people that know stuff.. I am so attached to my girls that each death hits me really really hard. I did buy some Purdue recover plus that I was adding to their water for about the last week because I had some dirty vents and some pretty poopy eggs and that seem to clear everything up and I doubt it’s from that but is it possible? Other than that I have mostly been feeding new Trina nature wise layer feed 16% and they get black soldier fly larva and a little bit of crack corn most days but not every day I keep their coop fairly clean and I use pine bedding. I change their waters every day, I am just at a loss I don’t know what to do
She just pooped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 2
The clicking and labored breathing could be a sign of a leaking air sac from trauma to her chest, neck or elsewhere. Can you feel of her for any air that has collected under her skin? Let us know what you find. There could be another reason for the clicking.
I was feeling and her neck is curved it feels like. Not to the side but it could be the way I was holding her. She doesn’t feel like she has air anywhere. But I did just add a pic of her poop.

The dropping could have some yellow urates that might point to a reproductive problem. It is also green, so she may not be eating enough. Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly under her vent?

The dropping could have some yellow urates that might point to a reproductive problem. It is also green, so she may not be eating enough. Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly under her vent?
I will check that! Would that cause open mouth breathing and clicking? If she does what should I do? I just bought epsom salts today…

I am so sorry… I have ADHD and I’m under a lot of stress so my thought process makes no sense, and I just read what I wrote to you… so, is it possible that she has an egg stuck inside her? I’m working on another day and she is walking around and she ate some treats. I don’t know if she ate food today because they usually just eat when I’m not around and I usually let them out to free range. My thought process with the Epson salts was if she had an egg stuck inside her which I’ve yet had to deal with, I’ve heard people talk about soaking them in Epson salts? And then I was curious to ask if maybe they could have worms? I had some chickens last fall that I asked about on here and people thought maybe gape worm? I tried the horse wormer paste, and it did not save my birds… Around here they don’t sell a chicken dewormer and we don’t really have an avian vet. … So they have like the pyrantel I get from the vet for my dogs? I wish I knew somebody locally who was a chicken guru, because I am not, and my flock has been hit very hard this almost past year that I’ve had them… I love my ladies to the frickin moon and it’s so hard to sit here and watch them drop like flies, I keep my coop clean. I change my waters out daily and clean them and we do supplements and I feed a good organic food. It seems like my chickens suck at staying alive.

Back
Top Bottom