lethargic chick 2 wks old, help me figure out what to do!

stella_52

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hi all, I have a 2.5 week old Easter Egger who I got as a day-old chick (along with 9 other chicks). Everyone has been fine until this EE chick started to seem lethargic two days ago. She mostly wanted to lay down, and, though she was still eating and drinking a bit, not nearly as much as the other chicks were. She seemed very tired and is breathing fairly heavily. Yesterday we got some nutri-drench on the advice of our feed store, and put it in their water. I was able to get her to eat a bit of hard boiled egg yoke. She would stand while I was giving her the egg yoke to eat. This morning she was no worse but not better. Twice today, I've separated her from the others and given her some more egg yoke and some vitamin water (using a syringe). She's eaten a little more today, and again, will stand while she is eating the egg. But then she just crawls off into the corner and snoozes afterwards.

-Her poop looks normal to me
-Her bottom is clean, no pasty butt
-The other chicks seem fine
-No injury that I can see on her, her feet and legs seem fine.
-They're all in a nice big box with pine shavings and a heating plate for warmth and coziness. I am feeding them chick starter.

I'm confused and worried for her and wonder what kind of advice anyone might have. After combing through these forums my only guess is coccidiosis so if she's no better tomorrow I will try to get some Corid to treat her, otherwise I'm at a loss. Any advice appreciated! I am totally new to this!

I don't have any Corid but I can get some from my feed supply place, probably not until tomorrow morning. Here's two I just took of her, a (small) recent poop and the brooder. It is two large cardboard boxes attached to one another.
IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4364.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG
IMG_4367.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG

Just wanted to update, she ate a bit more last night and this morning, but doesn't want to drink much and still seems tired, breathing heavily. I am going to get the medicine this morning, and will treat all of my chicks, but does anyone have thoughts based on those photos? Thanks for reading.

Well, turns out my feed store is out of Corid and I live on an island, they are my only source (I tried calling a vet, who didn't have any either). I ordered some over the phone after calling, like, six different sources on the mainland, but it will take days to get here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me in the meantime?

I don't have any Corid but I can get some from my feed supply place, probably not until tomorrow morning. Here's two I just took of her, a (small) recent poop and the brooder. It is two large cardboard boxes attached to one another.View attachment 2125697View attachment 2125688View attachment 2125689View attachment 2125690View attachment 2125691
Just wanted to update, she ate a bit more last night and this morning, but doesn't want to drink much and still seems tired, breathing heavily. I am going to get the medicine this morning, and will treat all of my chicks, but does anyone have thoughts based on those photos? Thanks for reading.
Well, turns out my feed store is out of Corid and I live on an island, they are my only source (I tried calling a vet, who didn't have any either). I ordered some over the phone after calling, like, six different sources on the mainland, but it will take days to get here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me in the meantime?
I'm just now seeing this.
She's cute!
Is her crop emptying? Does she have access to grit free choice?

I would keep her eating/drinking. You can give her a little buttermilk to sooth the intestines.
Let all the chicks have a little, it won't hurt them.

I'm just now seeing this.
She's cute!
Is her crop emptying? Does she have access to grit free choice?

I would keep her eating/drinking. You can give her a little buttermilk to sooth the intestines.
Let all the chicks have a little, it won't hurt them.

Thanks so much! I will definitely keep her eating/drinking and give them all a little buttermilk. Her crop was pretty empty this morning (as far as I can tell, as I said, I'm new at this) and filled up a bit after I fed her some egg yoke and chick starter. Her crop now feels fuller and fairly soft (definitely not hard). I have fed her three times since 6am this morning and given her a little water each time, although she still doesn't want to drink as much as eat.
Should I give her access to grit? I haven't yet.
I really appreciate your answer!

Grit is a very good idea, be sure to get the chick grit, it's finer than the grit for adult chickens. Don't worry if she seems to take a lot at first, she knows what she needs. Perhaps she has been nibbling on the bedding, if so the grit will help move things aling. Good luck with her!

Grit is a very good idea, be sure to get the chick grit, it's finer than the grit for adult chickens. Don't worry if she seems to take a lot at first, she knows what she needs. Perhaps she has been nibbling on the bedding, if so the grit will help move things aling. Good luck with her!
Thank you! I just gave her a little buttermilk and set her up in front of some grit and she was pretty enthusiastic (for a sick chick) about both of them. Now she's resting again. Hope this might help her...

I’ve read about adding a bit of acv to water for the antibacterial properties. Some say it will perk a chick up. I’ve given avc to chicks but not as a remedy, only as a supplement to healthy chicks. The ratio is a teaspoon to a gallon of water—well diluted. I would hesitate to give her too many remedies in a day but it might be worth a try if you suspect she’s got heightened bacteria count...
It might be a pain but, fresh bedding and get some warm soapy water to those feeders/waterer a little more frequently. It might help her fight it off and help prevent spreading. Good luck - we hope she pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom