Lethargic Chick; Help please?

The chick was super peppy this morning, but we gave it some Poly-vi-sol this morning anyways. This afternoon it was fiesty, so I only got like two drops in. Tonight, it is looking the same as last night. We gave it another half of a syringe of Poly-vi-sol, so we are going to check on it to see how it is doing before we go to bed. Earlier, it was scratching and moving around. I'm sure it is going to take some time for the nutrients to soak into the chick, so it doesn't keep crashing. Right? Sorry for the late reply. I've been at work, and am just now getting online.

I have a runt who was failing to thrive and breathing was shallow. I started him on duramiacyn 10 and after a week he has almost doubled, stools have gotten solid, and he is soo much more alert. Once I get him off that then will start a vitamin regimen in hopes of pulling him through. I put an 1/8 teaspoon to a gallon of water.

The chick was super peppy this morning, but we gave it some Poly-vi-sol this morning anyways. This afternoon it was fiesty, so I only got like two drops in. Tonight, it is looking the same as last night. We gave it another half of a syringe of Poly-vi-sol, so we are going to check on it to see how it is doing before we go to bed. Earlier, it was scratching and moving around. I'm sure it is going to take some time for the nutrients to soak into the chick, so it doesn't keep crashing. Right? Sorry for the late reply. I've been at work, and am just now getting online.

It took a solid 24 hours for me before I became convinced the supplements were working. I'm glad to hear he's got some fight!

Its an antibiotic. My chick had pasty butt and his breathing was horrible. He wouldn't do much other than chirp and sleep so I got some from local farm store and started him on it. He is now breathing better and stooll is better; and he has doubled in size over the course of a week.

Once I finish a two week treatment, I am gonna load him up on probiotics and hopefully I have a problem solved. My son is attached to it.

I'm so glad that it is getting better! We have one that has had a little bit of pasty but, but it hasn't been too bad. We tried giving it yogurt, but it has refused it over and over again. We have gotten a few drops down with a syringe though.

Is it normal for month old chickens to be falling asleep standing up? I have another one that is starting to do this, so we are giving it supplements too incase there's something more to it than being sleepy. I feel like after having that other chick die, we don't really think that "normal" behaviors are normal anymore.

Back
Top Bottom