Lethargic chick not responding to corid treatment please help!

bbenoit29

Hatching
Apr 29, 2021
Hello!

New chicken mom here. I recently got 25 chicks from TSC. First week went well and then last Saturday one of the chicks I noticed was lethargic. Other chicks were walking on top of her and she just layed there with her eyes closed. I separated her with her own heat lamp, food, and water inside my house. Woke up Sunday and still not better. She had some foamy poop and one looked a little red. Wasn't sure if it was blood or not. Her feather were rumpled. After reading lots of threads I treated her and the rest of the flock for coccidiosis with liquid Corid. By Tuesday she was perked up a bit and would at least stand, drink on her own, and ate some of her chick crumbles and some of a scrambled egg. I was feeling optimistic. Now today (Thursday) she seems to be going back down hill. Not eating. Will only drink if I stick her beak in the water. Her feathers look better but she will not stand and is back to sleeping 24/7. When I pick her up and put her back down she cannot hold herself up and falls over. I have read so many articles but I am not sure what to do next. The rest of the flock are doing great. Please help!!
She is a leghorn and just over 2 weeks old.

It might be that she was a weak chick from the beginning, or that she suffered from shipping stress. About all you can do is to try and get water and food into her. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are very good to give as a boost, a couple of drops orally a day. Make sure that she has no pasty buttplug on her bottom, and that she is warm.

It might be that she was a weak chick from the beginning, or that she suffered from shipping stress. About all you can do is to try and get water and food into her. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are very good to give as a boost, a couple of drops orally a day. Make sure that she has no pasty buttplug on her bottom, and that she is warm.
Thank you for your quick response. Her bottom is clear. A few had pasty butt when we brought them home so we have been keeping a close eye on that and cleaning as needed. I was waiting to give her vitamins until her corid treatment was done but maybe that will help thank you.

Back
Top Bottom