Lethargic chick, watery stools-Please help new owner

jensweet01

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Turlock
Hi there. I'm new to this site...and to raising chickens. I purchased 4 Buff Orpington chicks from my feed store 3 days ago and I'm getting concerned about one of them.

She is a little smaller & lighter in color than the other 3 (not sure if that matters). She has loose, watery light brown stool. She is lethargic, often falling asleep standing up or lying leaning to one side. Although I've seen her eating and drinking she does no other exploration of the brooder box like the other 3 chicks do. She is often to be found dozing by herself (mostly under the lamp). When she is hanging around the others she still dozes to the point where another chick will bodily push her out of it's way. When I reach into the box she usually makes no move to get away like the others do. Also she has a habit of only opening one eye at a time, sometimes keeping the left eye closed, sometimes the right.

At times she seems just fine but most of the time I can tell her apart from a distance just by looking (something I absolutely can not do with the other 3).

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jen

Forgot to add to last post:

There is no blood in poo and the chicks haven't been fed anything but starter and water...well mostly, the first day and a half I had them on pine shavings 'til I realized they were eating them. Promptly switched to paper towles.

I think that's all the info I have.

Maybe try some sugar water or chick electrolyte to help give her some vitamins and energy. I had one of those "slow to come around" girls and she is still one of my favorites. Sometimes they don't make it for unknown reasons but sometimes they are just slow to come around. Don't give up on her!

Good luck with your babies!!!
welcome-byc.gif

If you follow Jen's suggestion on the sugar water, don't use it for more than a day or so because it can cause diarrhea. Sometimes you can add ground oatmeal to the food (like 50-50) for a few days till the poop firms up and then reduce the oatmeal. It also makes a NICE treat to handfeed to the babies
pop.gif

Put up some pics soon, 'K?
frow.gif

Thanks for the advice everybody. I've already put sugar in the water and will try the oat suggestion also.

*fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom