Lethargic Chicken 2 weeks after Corid treatment

Chimelle

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
I have polish chickens that are about 6 months old, which were given to me about 8 weeks ago. Shortly after getting them, one was lethargic and not eating much. I put her in a crate with paper towels on the bottom, and saw when she pooped that there was red in it. Here's a timeline:
Sept. 15 - started entire flock on corid for 7 days. I didn't realize it depleted their nutrients
Sept. 28 - one was dead in the morning. Read up and started giving them Nutri-drench and oregano in their food.
Oct. 5 - one was lethargic; seperated her and started corid again for everyone. Did that for 7 days.
Oct. 8 - dug out and and replaced all of the sand in all of the run areas and coop.
Oct. 12 - started poultry cell, nutri-drench, oregano in everyones food (I put some of the poultry cell water and the other things in their food, so it's wet down and mixed up). Did that for about 10 days, then filled their water with regular water with a touch of ACV.
Oct. 26 - one of the chickens is very lethargic. Separated her; her first poop looks a little yellowish and foamy, with some dark green in it. Gave her some hydro hen, not sure what to do next.

I let the girls out in the yard once in a while, but not much since all of this started. I have 3 other chickens, that are separate from the polish hens (but they can see each other through a fence that separates their areas of the run). I would like to integrate them but not until these girls are for sure healthy.

Here’s a picture of the poop

Attachments

• IMG_6826.png
    IMG_6826.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
6 months old, which were given to me about 8 weeks ago.

Sept. 15 - started entire flock on corid for 7 days. I didn't realize it depleted their nutrients
Sept. 28 - one was dead in the morning. Read up and started giving them Nutri-drench and oregano in their food.
Oct. 5 - one was lethargic; seperated her and started corid again for everyone. Did that for 7 days.
Oct. 8 - dug out and and replaced all of the sand in all of the run areas and coop.
Oct. 12 - started poultry cell, nutri-drench, oregano in everyones food (I put some of the poultry cell water and the other things in their food, so it's wet down and mixed up). Did that for about 10 days, then filled their water with regular water with a touch of ACV.
Oct. 26 - one of the chickens is very lethargic. Separated her; her first poop looks a little yellowish and foamy, with some dark green in it. Gave her some hydro hen, not sure what to do next.

I let the girls out in the yard once in a while, but not much since all of this started. I have 3 other chickens, that are separate from the polish hens (but they can see each other through a fence that separates their areas of the run). I would like to integrate them but not until these girls are for sure healthy.
Please post photos of the birds?
How are they housed? Photos?
What do you feed, including treats?
Are any laying eggs?

Corid does not cause deficiency if give at the correct dose and for the correct time period. Did you give vitamins when you gave Corid?

I'd stop all the vitamins, you've been giving them for weeks now. Plain fresh water.
Nutritionally balanced poultry feed (Chick Starter or All Flock if they are not laying eggs). Do provide oyster shell and poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice.

Get a fecal float to rule out worms, look them over for lice/mites and make sure their crops are emptying overnight.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Please post photos of the birds?
How are they housed? Photos?
What do you feed, including treats?
Are any laying eggs?

Corid does not cause deficiency if give at the correct dose and for the correct time period. Did you give vitamins when you gave Corid?

I'd stop all the vitamins, you've been giving them for weeks now. Plain fresh water.
Nutritionally balanced poultry feed (Chick Starter or All Flock if they are not laying eggs). Do provide oyster shell and poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice.

Get a fecal float to rule out worms, look them over for lice/mites and make sure their crops are emptying overnight.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll post photos tomorrow. They’re on organic All Flock from TSC and have oyster shells in a separate bowl. None of the polish hens are laying yet. They get kitchen scraps 2-3 times a week, but I’ve been giving those sparingly while they’re sick. I got the dosage for Corid from this site… 1-1/2 tsp per gallon of water. I provided that fresh everyday. I haven’t found a vet that treats chickens. The fee for a necropsy is $275 so I haven’t done that.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll post photos tomorrow. They’re on organic All Flock from TSC and have oyster shells in a separate bowl. None of the polish hens are laying yet. They get kitchen scraps 2-3 times a week, but I’ve been giving those sparingly while they’re sick. I got the dosage for Corid from this site… 1-1/2 tsp per gallon of water. I provided that fresh everyday. I haven’t found a vet that treats chickens. The fee for a necropsy is $275 so I haven’t done that.
Here is a picture of the lethargic one. I’ve looked at their skin, it looks good. Her poop looks really good today, but seemed really watery yesterday. You can see in the second picture where she pooped while she slept. Also, forgot to mention while I gave Corid they didn’t get any other vitamins or anything. The Corid seemed to do the job as the two who were sick did get better and are doing well.

Attachments

• IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 12
Is she able to see to eat and drink?
Crested birds sometimes need feathers trimmed away from their eyes.

Does she always stay bent over like that?

I'd be inclined to give her 400UI Vitamin E daily along with some egg or tuna, this is in addition to her eating her normal feed.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

If she's able, I'd let her out of the crate to move around walk and enjoy the grass and sunshine during the day.

I'd be inclined to give her 400UI Vitamin E daily along with some egg or tuna, this is in addition to her eating her normal feed.

If she's able, I'd let her out of the crate to move around walk and enjoy the grass and sunshine during the day.
Yes, those feathers must be such a nuisance for them! I have trimmed them but I will trim some more. She has been eating a little bit. I've added water to her food so she's getting hydration even though she isn't drinking water alone as much. She's not usually bent over unless sleeping; that's how I noticed something was wrong. I think her crop is emptying as it hasn't been very full, but I didn't check it this morning. I put her out in the grass after I took her picture. I tried to feed an egg yesterday but she didn't eat much. I'll try again shortly. Thanks for your response!

And I will try to get some straight Vit E today. I only have nutri-drench, hydro hen and poultry cell currently.

I recommend that you worm your birds with Valbazen. Use a syringe without a needle to administer the liquid orally to each chicken. Dosage is 1/2ml for a 5lb bird or 0.08ml per pound of weight. Repeat dosing again in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom