Lethargic Chicken: Help?

Just an update here -- we tried draining her last night. We pulled some very yellow fluid out; not as much as we hoped so we're going to try again tonight.

She seemed to perk up a bit after and has been still eating some mash and scrambled egg. She's pecking out in the yard with the others today but still moving quite slow and standing around.

Even if she doesn't make it, I feel good knowing I am doing my absolute best to help her. Thank you for your help! Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

How much liquid was it?

Just be careful not to drain too much at once. You can take your time and do it once or twice a week if really needed.
Observe how she reacts and how long it lasts until her belly fills up again.

How much liquid was it?

Just be careful not to drain too much at once. You can take your time and do it once or twice a week if really needed.
Observe how she reacts and how long it lasts until her belly fills up again.
Only about 7mL probably, not even a full 20cc syringe (we could only get a bit at a time, I think we need to change the angle a bit to get more at once. There seemed to be some suction that stopped the flow.) It was quite a thick yellow.

I know we can't do more than 1.5 cups so we're keeping it minimal. She seemed to move around quicker and be more interested in eating after we did the drain. We'll keep an eye on how quickly it fills up once we can get a bit more. It felt quite full still.

Any additional notes based on that?

Only about 7mL probably, not even a full 20cc syringe (we could only get a bit at a time, I think we need to change the angle a bit to get more at once. There seemed to be some suction that stopped the flow.) It was quite a thick yellow.

I know we can't do more than 1.5 cups so we're keeping it minimal. She seemed to move around quicker and be more interested in eating after we did the drain. We'll keep an eye on how quickly it fills up once we can get a bit more. It felt quite full still.

Any additional notes based on that?
By your description I would conclude that the masses in her abdomen might consist mainly of egg yolk that tends to clot/solidify because of the body heat.

But of course it could also just be the case of the incorrect placed needle and/ or angle.

You will soon find out with your next draining session and hopefully, this time you will be able to extract more.

Thank you. If she's internal laying and it's not a fluid build up issue from organ problems, does that change how we treat her? Is it beyond hope at that point?
Again, really appreciate your insights!

Thank you. If she's internal laying and it's not a fluid build up issue from organ problems, does that change how we treat her? Is it beyond hope at that point?
Again, really appreciate your insights!
It is difficult to determine from the outside, so we just have to adapt the "treatment" as we go.

What kind of needle did you use? Short and wide gauge?

Next time you insert the needle, let it be situated a little beside the first, don't insert too far/deep and vary the angle while extracting.

If after the next draining you still feel that it does not provide enough help to inprove her quality of life you still have the option to end her misery before she suffers to much.

It was 18g and about one inch. We tried to go about half an inch in but may have gone a bit further. We will try to change the angle tonight and will report back.

I had another hen pass last year due to what I think was a soft-shelled egg that was laid partially inside her. We thought we got it all out and she was fine the next day, then quickly passed the following.

It's disheartening because it make me feel like a bad "chicken tender." I'm going to get some dewormer and try to keep things cleaner, but I hate thinking something I'm doing wrong could be the cause for their discomfort or death. I think you both provided some tips around that; thank you!

It's disheartening because it make me feel like a bad "chicken tender." I'm going to get some dewormer and try to keep things cleaner, but I hate thinking something I'm doing wrong could be the cause for their discomfort or death.
Don't feel guilty or disheartened, these things can happen no matter how well kept and cared for chickens might be.

Back
Top Bottom