Lethargic Chicken Please Help!!

MiniBird

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
I have a 4 year old Australorp hen that has recently been acting very lethargic. She's been getting slower over the last few days, an recently all she wants to do is sleep. But she's eating and drinking too, and will actually trot over to me when I bring the food bowls to her. However, she has white poop that almost has the consistency of egg whites, and when I picked her up to examine her crop, I couldn't feel it at all. All I felt was her breast bone. Also, she's always had minor breathing problems, but recently she's seems to be more congested and sometimes has to open her mouth to breath. Anyone know what is wrong and I what I can do for her??

I would suspect that she could be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Symptoms can be lethargy, a reluctance to walk, passing egg material in the droppings, weight loss or fluid collection in the lower abdomen, shortness of breath, and sometimes walking upright or waddling like a penguin. Antibiotics such as penicillin or Baytril may help for awhile, but if you can have a vet see her, you might know for sure what is going on. I would deform her right away with Valbazen or fenbendazole if that hasn't been done recently, since worms could be a problem.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Does it matter though that she quit laying about a couple years ago?

Okay thanks for your input I'll check out your suggestions for her recovery! :)

I'm having the same issue with one of my girls. This is the 4th time in about 8 months that I have had her on antibiotic injections. She slowly gets better.... Is good for a couple months.... Then sick again. If it is peritonitis...… is there a cure other than what I'm doing?

Back
Top Bottom