Lethargic chicken, runny white poop stuck to tail feathers

Danosaur

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2021
Hello, I first noticed that Cutie Chick's feces weren't normal about a week ago, but she seemed to be acting normally so foolishly I let her be, and I went out of town for a few days and forgot about it. Anyway, she is definitely worse than she was last week. Her tail feathers have been plucked out and this kind of feces is stuck to what's left down there. (I couldn't find any poop fresh samples in the coop or run). She's lethargic and just kind of sitting around. Her comb is gray and droopy (worse looking than the picture) and she's having trouble keeping her eyes open. I couldn't get her to eat anything (feed, scratch, or mealworms) but I did get her to drink a little water from a cup and she perked up a bit. I have NO experience treating sick chickens so any and all hand-holding is welcome.

A little info about Cutie Chick:
- Australorp, ~20 months old
- Was laying
- No other birds exhibiting symptoms
- She is contained to an enclosed run at all times with 5 other chickens
- Coop bedding is sand
- We give kitchen scraps daily, usually some tortilla, vegetables, apples, occasionally bread, etc.

Questions (again, hand-holding detail is welcome :)):

1) I have Amprol on hand -- should I treat with that? Do I just add that to the water for the whole flock?

2) Should I also try to treat with an antibiotic? If so, what and how?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6654.jpeg
IMG_6659.jpeg

Looks like egg yolk stuck on the feathers along with urates.

I would clean her up a bit or if she's too lethargic, just cut those poopy feathers off.
Give her calcium with D3 (Like Caltrate), one tablet daily.
Get her hydrated, see if she will drink more. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Hard to know if she has expelled a soft shelled egg and it broke, if she's laying internally or what. An antibiotic may help with any infection.
Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) would be a good choice to give. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 day.

Back
Top Bottom