Lethargic Chicken

Mandaleeee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
San Diego, CA
My Blue Andalusian seemed really lethargic on Sunday (laid on the ground a lot, had no interest in food when I brought them fruit/veggies). She hasn't laid an egg since Saturday, and she is usually my most consistent layer out of 4 hens (the other 3 are Ameraucanas). I thought she may be egg-bound, but she started eating and moving around more yesterday so she seems to be feeling better. However, she still has not laid an egg. Should I still be concerned?

It's been pretty warm lately - I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Since I also read that worms could be the culprit, we added de-worming meds to the water today.

The heat could definitely be the culprit. Chickens tolerate winter much better than summer. Be sure they have shade and breeze, and plenty of cool water (not in the sun.) I run a box fan in my coop all summer, and the coop is already open and breezy. They take refuge in there during the hottest part of the day.

She's still pretty slow today. She was walking around and scratching a bit, but she's back to standing in place and closes her eyes a fair amount. I think I'm going to try to put her in a bath of warm water tonight to see if that helps. I'll probably keep her inside as well to monitor her.

Today was only around 80 degrees, overcast all day, and a steady breeze.

I had her sit in some warm water for a bit - I don't think she was a fan, but at least we got the waste off her rear feathers. I have her inside in a wire dog kennel now, so at least I can monitor her.

Back
Top Bottom