Lethargic / closed eyed/ low tail feathers

RobinS1217

Songster
Aug 7, 2022
Eastern TN
The more chickens the more problems? šŸ˜©
My daughters beloved EE seems off. Sheā€™s 19w now. Not laying yet. Coop has plenty of ventilation and room to perch.Itā€™s not over 65 degrees here so itā€™s not from heat. She is open mouth breathing, lethargic, and her left eye is often closed(last picture). Sheā€™s not stretching her neck out, not shaking her head, no nasal or eye discharge. We just separated her with food and water with VetRX. Not jumping to gape worm. Other ideas?

Attachments

• 6ED0910A-ED0A-47CC-B10C-65B5BE5740A9.jpeg
    6ED0910A-ED0A-47CC-B10C-65B5BE5740A9.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 6A9190C7-40E0-4D4A-9AC2-F34B786C332F.jpeg
    6A9190C7-40E0-4D4A-9AC2-F34B786C332F.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 17
  • F832791E-4645-49CB-B38D-072797A53458.jpeg
    F832791E-4645-49CB-B38D-072797A53458.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 16
aww, pretty girl.
Is she eating, drinking normally? howā€™s the stool look?
Check her crop. Hard, mushy or normal? Is anything stuck in the mouth or wrapped around tongue?
Check her belly and vent, too. Anything unusual, mushy belly?

aww, pretty girl.
Check her crop. Hard, mushy or normal? Is anything stuck in the mouth or wrapped around tongue?
weā€™ve seen her take one drink of water since isolating her. Hasnā€™t touched her food. But Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s sheā€™s eaten already today. Should I make her a scrambled egg with oregano? Sheā€™s in a group of 18 total (2 roosters). Iā€™ve had them all since 3 days old. They co mingle with my older flock of 8 while they free range 2 hours in the AM and PM.

Her crop isnā€™t mushy , but wouldnā€™t say itā€™s hard like the others. They do have access to grit. They just got switched to layer crumble this week. Looking her her mouth is looks impeccably clean lol. Iā€™ve looked for wounds (one rooster is pretty aggressive with the love) and donā€™t see any. Vent is light pink. Not dirty, noting noticeable there. Feet are good no bumbles.

Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Many respiratory diseases come from buying chickens from other people where they might have had a disease in the past. Most diseases make the whole flock carriers for life, whether the birds have symptoms or not. Wild birds can also bring in diseases. Look for any bubbles in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelids, mucus from the beak or nostrils. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or Tylosin generic powder for the water can help treat symptoms of MG, a common respiratory disease. If it is a virus, it may clear up in a month or so, but antibiotics have no affect.

Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Many respiratory diseases come from buying chickens from other people where they might have had a disease in the past. Most diseases make the whole flock carriers for life, whether the birds have symptoms or not. Wild birds can also bring in diseases. Look for any bubbles in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelids, mucus from the beak or nostrils. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or Tylosin generic powder for the water can help treat symptoms of MG, a common respiratory disease. If it is a virus, it may clear up in a month or so, but antibiotics have no c
No new birds. Their run is open air so potential is there for a wild bird to stop by. I see nothing abnormal with her eyes nose or mouth. Other than the open mouth breathing. They were vaccinated before shipping to me. Iā€™d have to look at their papers to see for what exactly that was for though and thatā€™s a whole other conversation there too šŸ™ƒ

aww, pretty girl.
Her crop seems pretty empty compared to the others.I massaged her crop and she ā€œsmacked her lipsā€. Her wings are now out a bit.

Attachments

• 63A9E7F2-81B4-4EC0-8CE0-5220E2682386.jpeg
    63A9E7F2-81B4-4EC0-8CE0-5220E2682386.jpeg
    985.2 KB · Views: 18
No new birds. Their run is open air so potential is there for a wild bird to stop by. I see nothing abnormal with her eyes nose or mouth. Other than the open mouth breathing. They were vaccinated before shipping to me. Iā€™d have to look at their papers to see for what exactly that was for though and thatā€™s a whole other conversation there too šŸ™ƒ
Did you get them as chicks or started pullets, and did they come from a hatchery or a breeder? Most people donā€™t vaccinate for respiratory diseases unless they have had a problem in their flock before. I get chicks that are vaccinated for Mareks.

Did you get them as chicks or started pullets, and did they come from a hatchery or a breeder? Most people donā€™t vaccinate for respiratory diseases unless they have had a problem in their flock before. I get chicks that are vaccinated for Mareks.
I got them from Valley Hatchery as chicks. It was offered at checkout for certain breeds.

THOUGHT: I cleaned their coop yesterday. Usually I let them free range while I rake but my husband was mowing so they were in the run as I raked(some are still molting and itā€™s all dirt so I rake the feathers poop and leaves to their compost corner. Could the dust potentially have bothered her lungs???

Dust and dust in feed can irritate airways and eyes. It shouldnā€™t cause that much of a reaction just the one time. Can you irrigate her eye with some saline or eye wash a couple of times a day? Look for anything material or bubbles in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom