Lethargic, eyes closed, won't eat or drink

amygarcia

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2021
I have a Hen, we don't know her age, we rescued her. She is very lethargic barely opens her eyes, won't eat or drink. I have her in the house isolated and have been syringe feeding her electrolytes and water with CORID in it. We are on day 2 and she doesn't seem to be getting better. She isn't egg bound and her crop is empty. She pooped once and it was green and watery. Help....

Green poop can be a sign of not eating. Getting this hen to drink some water with a little sugar or electrolytes is very important. Once she gets water into her, I would offer some wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food. Has this hen laid an egg recently? She may be suffering from a common reproductive disorder which affect older hens, such as egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, or internal laying. Has she lost weight in her breast bone, or does she have any enlargement of her lower belly? Is her tail up or down? Can you feel of her crop and tell us is it is empty or full, hard or puffy?

Green poop can be a sign of not eating. Getting this hen to drink some water with a little sugar or electrolytes is very important. Once she gets water into her, I would offer some wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food. Has this hen laid an egg recently? She may be suffering from a common reproductive disorder which affect older hens, such as egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, or internal laying. Has she lost weight in her breast bone, or does she have any enlargement of her lower belly? Is her tail up or down? Can you feel of her crop and tell us is it is empty or full, hard or puffy?
She is a silky....so they don't lay everyday...she laid an egg a few days ago. Her tail seems normal... silkies just have a fluff ball on the back rather than a tail. Her crop is normal..and belly seems normal...crop is empty. Been giving her syringe of electrolyte water with CORID to keep her fluids up....but she isn't really improving. She still preens herself and tries to peck me when I syringe feed her ...but then closes her eyes and sleeps.

I have a Hen, we don't know her age, we rescued her. She is very lethargic barely opens her eyes, won't eat or drink. I have her in the house isolated and have been syringe feeding her electrolytes and water with CORID in it. We are on day 2 and she doesn't seem to be getting better. She isn't egg bound and her crop is empty. She pooped once and it was green and watery. Help....
We're you able to find a solution ? I'm having the same problem any antibiotics you gave ?

Back
Top Bottom