Lethargic hen, not eating, big squishy crop

mymonkeyshines

Hatching
Jun 26, 2022
This hen has been lethargic for the past week. Two days ago she started not really being interested in food, but drinks water. Crop is golf ball sized and squishy in the morning, gets bigger during the day. No odor from the breath. Poop is yellow and watery but not bloody. Put her on dewormer four days ago - .2ml of fendendazole a day. She has not eaten as far as I'm aware since Saturday morning - I've been giving 2ml of poultry cell via syringe a day but I would think she needs more. gave 2ml of yogurt today. Yesterday I found a lot of lice/mites on her, so I misted her with permethrin and rubbed some dio earth onto her. Not sure how often I should follow up or expect to stop seeing lice. At this point, she is mostly stationary just standing or sitting. She'll usually walk to a dark nook and sit there. sometimes presenting a new food she is interested and pecks it once then loses interest. Apple, egg shells, and grit have all gotten this reaction. Can stay on a perch if I put her up. Any other thoughts on treatment? Also, I'd like to give her a bath but don't want to wash off the pest treatments - how long should I wait for that? should I reapply after bath? any input is appreciated as I'd like to get her stabilized ASAP. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, I say impacted crop. Here's a link you may want to check out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I tried the oil message and was able to work the crop down but still a decent amount of fluid sitting in there. If I jiggle the crop you can hear that it is definitely all liquid in there. I don't really feel any masses that seem like they're inside, but the chickens were going through a pile of weeds/long grasses so I could see that being related too.

I tried the oil message and was able to work the crop down but still a decent amount of fluid sitting in there. If I jiggle the crop you can hear that it is definitely all liquid in there. I don't really feel any masses that seem like they're inside, but the chickens were going through a pile of weeds/long grasses so I could see that being related too.
Keep up the good work. I'm sure she'll get through this. I've never had to deal with it personally, so I'm sorry I can't offer any tips, but it sounds like you're doing a good job!

Back
Top Bottom