Lethargic hen with mites, lice, possible worms

lisacbc

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2022
Looking for some advice on how to care for our sick hen right now and insight as to how worried we should/should not be. I have helped others care for their chickens in the past, but I inherited these 3 chickens this fall at my new living situation and am having a lot of new experiences as a first-time chicken owner.

A week ago we noticed that one of our chickens in particular (a 3-4 year-old hen.. sorry I don't know the breed) had a messy bum with dried stool. my partner gave her a bath and quickly found out she also had an abundance of lice with visible eggsacks at the base of her feathers. She has been lethargic for a few weeks-- wandering around during the day with the flock, but not as active as them. Three days ago we noticed she looked more lethargic. After more reading, we got serious about treating the lice and-- on closer inspection noticed she had mites as well. We bathed her again and when she was dry dusted her (and the other two hens-- who are 2 years old, and still plucky and happy) with food-grade diatomaceous earth.

That same day (three days ago) we started isolating her for feeding and have been giving her dried fly larva, peas, organic raw pumpkin seeds, and spinach to boost her protein and iron and help her recover from probable anemia caused by lice and mites. (She has a pale comb and wattle relative to the others, and her lower eyelid is almost white.) She has enjoyed eating this, but has still been lethargic. Today we added some electolytes to her water and dusted her with DE a second time.

Yesterday we had also been reading about stool-indicators of worm infestations. It seemed likely she has an infestation of hair worms. We treated her last night (around 7pm) with a drop of fenbendazole diluted in a syringe of filtered water administered orally.

Today she seems even more lethargic. She is still eating and drinking, but is resting, standing for long stretches with her eyes closed before waking and resuming eating. When she does eat she looks pretty alert-- she always likes to eat the fly larvae first, and then the peas, and her aim has been dead on, but after a few minutes she slows down again. Wings are still drooping and when she closes her eyes her head begins to droop. Right now she has her beak tucked under her wing and looks to be getting some legitimate sleep. She is currently isolated from the flock in her kennel in front of a window at ground-level with a nice broad ray of sunshine peaking in which she seems to favor.

Stool: not too much of it this morning Green, normal texture -- no diarrea today-- but in little logs, not balls. We collected some in a container.

Typical living conditions are a smallish wood henhouse up on legs with two perchs and 3 layer boxes, all lined with wood shavings. The henhouse is surrounded by a 7'-10' coop with an all-natural wood-chip substrate (refreshed about a month ago.) in the run there is a bin with a mix of play sand/diatomaceous earth available for bathing-- but now that I think of it I am not sure if I have ever seen them use it. (It was part of a setup left by the previous owners and the hens may have outgrown it?) During the day we let the chickens out to roam the fenced backyard where they peck, scratch, and sunbathe.

Typical feed is layer mash, appropriate vegetable scraps, dried black fly larvae for treats (especially in winter, since there are fewer bugs to be had.)

Basically, I just don't know how worried we should be... what to do next... I am worried we may have made her more sick by simultaneously treating for worms-- or that the worm die-off may be affecting her energy levels and appetite? Also, is it good to keep her isolated away from the flock indoors where it is quieter/warmer or should we try to put the kennel she is in out in the run over night/during the day so as to not disrupt the pecking order (She is typically the top)? (Overnight temps in the mid 20's, and daytime in the mid 50's, then mid 40's for the next few days.)

Any advice is much appreciated. I have been scouring the internet and it is exhausting. We don't have much money to pay for vet bills and are hoping to do everything we can at home.

dry dusted her (and the other two hens-- who are 2 years old, and still plucky and happy) with food-grade diatomaceous earth.

we started isolating her for feeding and have been giving her dried fly larva, peas, organic raw pumpkin seeds, and spinach to boost her protein and iron and help her recover from probable anemia caused by lice and mites. (She has a pale comb and wattle relative to the others, and her lower eyelid is almost white.) She has enjoyed eating this, but has still been lethargic.

Yesterday we had also been reading about stool-indicators of worm infestations. It seemed likely she has an infestation of hair worms. We treated her last night (around 7pm) with a drop of fenbendazole diluted in a syringe of filtered water administered orally.
Welcome To BYC

Does this hen still lay eggs?

For a lice and mite infestation, I suggest that you go to a feed store like TSC and get a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray and treat all your hens and their housing. Repeat treatment in 7 day intervals.

Do you have some photos of her poop and the worms?
A drop of Fenbendazole is not going to treat worms. Fenbendazole is dosed by weight at 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days. This length of time and dose will treat most types of worms poultry can get except for Tapeworms.

Is her crop emptying overnight? Check first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure. If it's not emptying, then start treating that too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You can give her some beef liver to help build her back up, 1 Tablespoon a day or you can use a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight given orally once a day for a few days.
I would make sure she's got grit available if you are giving the peas, seeds, etc.

See that she's eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Do take note if she has any swelling or bloat in the abdomen which might indicate that she's having some reproductive issues. Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens and often other conditions and issues are the result of a hen with failing health.

Thank you so much for your advice and for the time you took to help me yesterday-- I really, really appreciate your generosity.

I made sure the ladies have grit available, and am getting some permethrine. I checked my sick hen's crop this morning, and it was empty. But there is significant swelling around her abdomen/bottom. Also, compared to the other chickens she is definitely bonier... I feel silly saying so-- but I honestly do not know if she is still laying or not.

She was perkier and happier today, and pecked around with the flock. Going to keep trying to figure out her health... Any additional tips/thoughts would be humbly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for your advice and for the time you took to help me yesterday-- I really, really appreciate your generosity.

I made sure the ladies have grit available, and am getting some permethrine. I checked my sick hen's crop this morning, and it was empty. But there is significant swelling around her abdomen/bottom. Also, compared to the other chickens she is definitely bonier... I feel silly saying so-- but I honestly do not know if she is still laying or not.

She was perkier and happier today, and pecked around with the flock. Going to keep trying to figure out her health... Any additional tips/thoughts would be humbly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Significant swelling around the abdomen, ime, points to reproductive issues. Which one, it would be hard to know unless you lose her and a necropsy is performed.
If the abdomen is filled with fluid, sometimes draining the fluid can give them some relief for a short period of time. Draining does have it's risks, you can introduce bacteria with the needle stick or a hen may go into shock and die upon draining. Do keep in mind that fluid (Ascites) is a symptom so whatever is causing it still exists.

Being perkier and happier is good. Sometimes they do this, they are under the weather for a couple of days, then perk back up for a while. I generally just monitor them and offer supportive care on the days they aren't well. Keeping check that lice/mites aren't an issue, that their crop is functioning, see that they eat/drink. When they get to the point they don't perk back up in a few days or there's a clear decline, then I make a decision if I need to continue with supportive care or put her out of her misery.

Hope she does ok for a while, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom