Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redamysue, May 3, 2017.

1. redamysue

redamysue New Egg

May 3, 2017
    Oh my, this sounds like a story problem from a third grade math worksheet...

We have a flock of 3 hens. El Gato (sex-linked golden) was laying a jumbo egg a day on average since she started laying over 2 years ago, until this fall when her eggs began to get weak-shelled. We were very inclusive of calcium but it didn't seem to work. She has not laid since but is energetic, looks and acts healthy.

Valley Girl (silver-laced Wyandotte) was laying spring-fall, about 3-4 eggs a week. She stopped laying in the late fall. She did not begin to lay again in the spring. The past week she has been acting somewhat lethargic. Not terribly so that she is wobbling on her legs, but she is laying around a lot, in the yard. All three usually run to the gate if I open the back door, but she stayed laying down. Her feathers are bright and her butt is clean, and she is a healthy weight. I will look more closely tomorrow, but I have been unable to see if there are any bugs or sores on her.

And finally LaLa (Delaware) is fine. Running around, laying as of Early March, 3-4 eggs/week as she did before last season.

Obviously, I am concerned about the health of my lethargic chicken. Does this seem like a familiar behavior/condition to you? Any ideas on how to get my bird healthy and all of them laying, I would appreciate it.

Thanks you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by