Lethargic hen

The3GoodFaries

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

black astrolop, 4 years, seems lighter then normal
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Laying without moving outside, didn't come for food. Doesn't react other then looking round to being held and brought inside
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed this morning, my 6 yr old said she was acting this way yesterday too....but she didn't say anything about it to me
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Normally fed scratch n peck layer.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Unknown
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Brought her inside to get her warm, offered food and water, but she didn't eat or drink any

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We would prefer to treat her ourself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Elevated hen house with wood pellet bedding free range in the yard.

Her crop looked very large, so she may have had a crop impaction or sour crop. Those can be common, and then chicken can starve. Crop problems may also be common with reproductive disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites putting pressure on the digestive tract. So sorry for your loss. If you save her body and refrigerate it, you can get a necropsy by your state vet. Here is a link with contact info:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom