Lethargic hen

Allisonbrizburk

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
Hello hive mind,

I'm still fairly new to keeping chickens and this forum, I'll be searching for answers but for now I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction

I got home from work tonight and went to feed the horses and count my chickens. I found one hen sleeping in an area that is not normal for her. When I walked up to her she didn't move or make any noise. I picked her up and she seems thin and weak. Nothing obvious so I'm keeping her in the house with food and water nearby.

What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
A) Polish Hen - idk what her weight is or what it was or should be.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
A) she seems lethargic

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A) noticed her chance of behavior tonight. She seemed normal this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
A) no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
A) nothing obvious
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
A) no idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
A) Nutrina feather fixer and what ever she finds, water in two locations, one gets pooped in frequently while the other does not
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
A) have not yet seen her đź’©

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
A) nothing. I brought her in the house to keep her safe

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
A) if I can help her myself I will. If I need a vet then we'll go to the vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
A) no obvious injury

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. A) free range from barn to the entire property. The roost in the barn rafters at night about 15-20 feet up.

Attachments

• PXL_20220925_060256892.jpg
    PXL_20220925_060256892.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 13
How old is she? Can you offer water with a spoonful of sugar per cupful or electrolyte water up to her beak to encourage to drink? She might be sick, or dehydrated and weak from not eating and drinking. Does she normally lay eggs? Can she stand and walk normally? Does she have anything in her crop, and is it empty, full, hard, or puffy soft? Does she get picked on or have trouble seeing with her feathered head?

How old is she? Can you offer water with a spoonful of sugar per cupful or electrolyte water up to her beak to encourage to drink? She might be sick, or dehydrated and weak from not eating and drinking. Does she normally lay eggs? Can she stand and walk normally? Does she have anything in her crop, and is it empty, full, hard, or puffy soft? Does she get picked on or have trouble seeing with her feathered head?
She's maybe 1.5-2 years. I'll try giving her electrolytes this morning. I'm sure she does lay eggs but I wouldn't know. Her feathers do interfere with her sight. Since she's in I can band them or trim them - I don't know how to trim so I'll take any advice for that. Crop feels sort of between hard and puffy. I don't see anywhere she's been picked on, I looked through her top knot for wounds and didn't see any. I did see my goose grab her by the tail a few days ago though.

I have only had 2 polish hens in a large mixed flock. They got picked on at times. They laid poorly. They can be bullied or meek, and one of mine was blinded with a peck after bumping into the others. I would slightly trim the feathers around the eyes. Don’t get too short, or the feathers can bleed. Offer her water and some watery feed or chopped egg in case she is hungry. Try to get her drinking well, and electrolytes are good.

I have only had 2 polish hens in a large mixed flock. They got picked on at times. They laid poorly. They can be bullied or meek, and one of mine was blinded with a peck after bumping into the others. I would slightly trim the feathers around the eyes. Don’t get too short, or the feathers can bleed. Offer her water and some watery feed or chopped egg in case she is hungry. Try to get her drinking well, and electrolytes are good.
Thank you. She passed away over night. I'm not sure how I missed her being so sick. I wish I knew what she was sick with so I can prevent it with the others. I have two more Polish, I'll try to catch them and trim their topknot so they can see

Back
Top Bottom