Lethargic Hen

jimla

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I have 4 red layers about 2.5 years old. One has been lethargic for the last week. See stays by herself under cover most times and does not socialize with the others much. Seems to be drawn in with head and wings and legs tucked in. Appears to eat with the rest from what I can tell. Last two nights did not roost but balled up in the shavings or tonight sat in the laying box. Can't feel anything to suggest eggbound but have her in warm water now and will keep inside tonight in the warmth. One other thing is poisoning. Had mice in the nearby shed and baited them with a commercial trap. Saw two run out while yard working and one was eaten by the hen, likely this one. I removed the traps when I saw that and read here that the poison should not harm the chicken unless it was a lot. Could it be the poison did not kill her but disabled her in some way? Egg production is down heading into winter but up until last month was getting 3 per day. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can't really say if it was the poison or not, but she has symptoms that could be many things. What type of rat poison was it? Check her for mites and lice, any diarrhea, check to see that her crop is emptying each morning, and worm her with a wormer that gets more than roundworms. Valbazen and Safeguard goat wormer are 2 good ones. If you have added any new birds lately, they might have brought in a new strain of coccidia. Most chickens are immune to the local coccidia strains by 4 months, but since there are 9 strains, a new one can make them sick.

Thanks for the suggestions. She spent the night in the house and pooped in the box. It looked normal. Does that mean she is not bound? Still lethargic though. Could molting be a cause? I'll look into the other possibilities too.
Jim

So many hens have this same issue--it's really hard to know exactly what the cause is sometimes. Mites and worms can cause lethargy.

Back
Top Bottom