Lethargic Hen

Heidis Hens

Hatching
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I'm worries about my Buff Orpington Hen. She's about 6 months old. She's been acting lethargic, to the point of not holding up her wings all the way. She's also not roosting with the other three, instead choosing to roost on the side of the nesting box. She's still out and about but slow to catch up with the flock. She's eating, drinking and pooping and I don't see anything weird in her poop. Please help! Thanks so much.

I would worry that she may have worms, or weak from dehydration or not getting enough food. Is it hot where you live? Where is she in the pecking order? Coccidiosis could also be a problem in case she is having any diarrhea, or not eating very well. Look her over for any signs of lice or mites, since mites can cause anemia.

I had a hen doing the same thing but she was still eating and drinking just not moving around much. Sadly, she passed away today. I had given her worm medicine and she perked up for a couple of days. She also had a droopy comb that seemed to get paler every day. She was my favorite hen and I don't know what was wrong with her. Anybody else had these problems with a hen?

I had a hen doing the same thing but she was still eating and drinking just not moving around much. Sadly, she passed away today. I had given her worm medicine and she perked up for a couple of days. She also had a droopy comb that seemed to get paler every day. She was my favorite hen and I don't know what was wrong with her. Anybody else had these problems with a hen?
Depending on what wormer you gave her, perhaps she died from toxic dead worm overload. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom