Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by atxnatheart, Nov 2, 2014.

1. atxnatheart

atxnatheart Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Texas
    Our hen isn't behaving normally. Plymouth Rock, about 1 1/2 years old. She has her feathers ruffled out, some seem "out of sorts", her comb is not the normal bright red, but dull and mottled in appearance. We have separated her from the flock and offering her food and water. She will sip water if offered by hand. We have not noticed her eating since yesterday. We have apple cider vinegar added to the water. Offering mealy worms, along with her regular feed. Any guidance would be appreciated. We are new at this and have not encountered this before. She is inside. Thank you!!!
    [​IMG]

2. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    This is going to sound like a strange question but have you checked her poop? If not then take a look and see if it is yellow and runny. We lost a RIR last week that had the same symptoms that your BR has and didn't know it was serious until she couldn't stand on her own and then began having yellow-runny poo that smelled strongly of sulfur. She died within hours.

We are still not sure exactly what it was but we've began deworming and medicating the rest of our flock this week on the advice of others here.

RichnSteph

3. atxnatheart

Nov 2, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for your response. Her poop looks normal, I only found 1 in the cage. If it was runny, it may have sunk into the hay. I will keep an eye on this. Thank you!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would treat her for coccidiosis asap. Is her crop empty or full? Can you check her for an egg stuck ? Glove and oil a finger. Keep her drinking.

5. atxnatheart

Nov 2, 2014
    Texas
    Being new, I am uncertain if I have located her crop. I bave felt around where I believe it would be located and I think it is empty. I don't feel any hardness. She is drinking if we put it right up to her beak. We do this several times an hour. We are going to look for the medication for cocci today. TSC only had it for cows. She ate a few bites of strawberries yesterday. Thank you so much for your help. We appreciate it very much.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Treatment for cows is fine. We just do the math.

7. atxnatheart

Nov 2, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for your help. We got her started on the medicine today and she has enjoyed eating some fresh strawberries, live grasshoppers and crickets my husband found in the yard. We hope she is on the mend.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thought you might find this useful if/when you have to use Corid again:
    [​IMG]
    FWIW, I always treat for a severe outbreak.

-Kathy

9. atxnatheart

Nov 2, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you Kathy!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    How's your Barred Rock doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by