Lethargic, minimal eating/drinking, orange string in poop (pics)

chickapops

Hatching
Jun 26, 2022
Hi All,

My 1 yr old Buff Orpington started acting lethargic this afternoon. She will just stand in a spot and close her eyes. Earlier in the day she was acting fine. It has been hot here the last 2 days but she's had access to shade, ice water, misters, and fans.

Her eyes are clear. I checked her abdomen for possible egg bound but it felt soft and I didn't notice any hard lumps. I even checked her internally but didn’t feel anything. She hasn't laid in a couple days. No visible wounds or injuries. I checked for mites, etc. and didn't see anything. I've cooled her down and tried to get electrolyte water in her which she has taken some by syringe. Her comb and wattles are red but sometimes they will pale out some but then go back to red. She just had the first round of valbazen 10 days ago because I found a roundworm in someone's poop so I treated them all (there 4 others in her immediate flock, we have 7 new 6 week old Lavendar Buffs that have been in a pen in the yard but she hasn't gone near them). She still needs the 2nd dose. She did make a poop earlier that had orange strings in it which I have never seen before.

I have attached a picture of her and the poop. Any ideas? Should I do the 2nd round of Valbazen? Should I get Corid in case it's coccidiosis? I live in N Texas. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220626_193419.jpg
    20220626_193419.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220626_192806.jpg
    20220626_192806.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 7
The poop has intestinal lining in it. This is normal in this amount. However, if more shows up repeatably, it can signify intestinal inflammation. So keep an eye on her poop. It would be a good idea to finish the worming process.

As for her lethargic behavior, watch that as well. If it continues into tomorrow and her poop gets runnier, then it may be a good idea to give the flock a Corid treatment. Yes, all of them.

The poop has intestinal lining in it. This is normal in this amount. However, if more shows up repeatably, it can signify intestinal inflammation. So keep an eye on her poop. It would be a good idea to finish the worming process.

As for her lethargic behavior, watch that as well. If it continues into tomorrow and her poop gets runnier, then it may be a good idea to give the flock a Corid treatment. Yes, all of them.
Thank you!

She does. I was able to get her to take the 2nd round of Valbazen soaked in bread. I'll soak some of her feed in electrolyte water and see what happens.
Good deal. I have done mixtures of their feed with scrambled egg or yogurt, some coconut oil probiotics and save a chick mixture to soak it in. And the Nutridrench in their water. Seems maybe excessive but I tried everything when I freaked out and lost a chick. I like the soaked mixtures because I know they are getting the extra nutrients.

The powdered probiotics I got have done the work for sure. That was the new thing I added in last and they rebounded crazy quick. And all their poops look great.

Good deal. I have done mixtures of their feed with scrambled egg or yogurt, some coconut oil probiotics and save a chick mixture to soak it in. And the Nutridrench in their water. Seems maybe excessive but I tried everything when I freaked out and lost a chick. I like the soaked mixtures because I know they are getting the extra nutrients.

The powdered probiotics I got have done the work for sure. That was the new thing I added in last and they rebounded crazy quick. And all their poops look great.
I hope she feels better soon! ❤️

A favorite hot weather activity is a large pan full of ice cubes. The chickens love to scratch around and shove them around and they are constantly drinking the melt water. Hydrates and cools and entertains them.

Back
Top Bottom