Lethargic mother Hen

bangi

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Jalalabad,Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
Hello
My Asil hen is lethargic and not eating.
She has 11 chicks.
She has had white+green poops for the last 4 days but was fine,however she has been looking sick today.
Her crop is empty.
Plz h
IMG_20200309_142935.jpg
IMG_20200309_142944.jpg
elp

How does her crop feel? Is it empty, or full, hard, or puffy? I hate to suggest antibiotics right off the bat, but can you get her to a vet or get antibiotics? I would confine her and the chicks in a small area, and offer her mashed cooked egg, wet chick feed, and try to get her drinking. Water is most important, and if you have electrolytes or sugar water, offer that to her in a cup. Are you prepared to care for the chicks with a heat source if she needs to be separated from the chicks? A brooder with a heat source, food and water would be good if needed.

Was she broody or sitting on eggs for a long time? Hens can become weak from sitting often or for long periods before their eggs hatch. Sorry that she is ill, but hopefully you can get her drinking and eating.

How does her crop feel? Is it empty, or full, hard, or puffy? I hate to suggest antibiotics right off the bat, but can you get her to a vet or get antibiotics? I would confine her and the chicks in a small area, and offer her mashed cooked egg, wet chick feed, and try to get her drinking. Water is most important, and if you have electrolytes or sugar water, offer that to her in a cup. Are you prepared to care for the chicks with a heat source if she needs to be separated from the chicks? A brooder with a heat source, food and water would be good if needed.

Was she broody or sitting on eggs for a long time? Hens can become weak from sitting often or for long periods before their eggs hatch. Sorry that she is ill, but hopefully you can get her drinking and eating.
Her crop is empty.
She only sat on eggs for 10 days,as my other hen had already incubated them.
If the solution is to separate chicks,I will definitely take care of them.

I’m sorry, I should have seen that you said her crop was empty. Have you had any illness with any other chickens? It is sometimes hard to know how to treat a hen who is not eating and who has ruuny poops without a vet testing her poop for worms or parasites. I might treat for coccidiosis and try an antibiotic in case of enteritis, an intestinal infection. Sorry, I am not a vet and cannot be of more help. Can you get amprollium or sulfa antibiotics where you are? Either of those would treat for coccidiosis, and an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin might help as well.

I’m sorry, I should have seen that you said her crop was empty. Have you had any illness with any other chickens? It is sometimes hard to know how to treat a hen who is not eating and who has ruuny poops without a vet testing her poop for worms or parasites. I might treat for coccidiosis and try an antibiotic in case of enteritis, an intestinal infection. Sorry, I am not a vet and cannot be of more help. Can you get amprollium or sulfa antibiotics where you are? Either of those would treat for coccidiosis, and an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin might help as well.
Thanks you very much for your help.
I will treat her for coccidiois.
Thanks

YOU ARE DOING GOOD KEEP IT UP BUT YOU SHOULD ALSO ADD SOME APPLE CIDER VINEGER TO HER WATER IF SHE WONT DRINK JUST FORCE HER TO THIS WILL HELP A WHOLE LOT!!!

Back
Top Bottom