Lethargic, panting, laying down alot, not eating 9 month old Easter Egger. Laid an egg yesterday. Been like this for 3 days now but today is worse.

vrollo81

Chirping
Oct 2, 2022
Three days ago, I noticed my 9 month old Easter Egger laying down in the middle of the morning. Didn't think to much of it till she was still like that an hour later. Throughout the day, I found her laying in odd spots.
She was still eating and drinking.

Today, I threw out some meal worms and black soldier fly larvae and she didn't touch them. **she is my foodie girl. She's quick and all over whatever I give them**

There are four other hens with her and four baby chicks that I've been letting outside. (In a cage separate from the big girls.)

I've brought her inside tonight, she's still not eating or drinking. Her bum is streaked with poop and her poop has been liquidy with some solid matter.

Is she egg bound?? Her vent looks good, but there seems to be a mass on her underside.

Does she have sour crop? Her crop feels fine.

I've tried giving her some tums crushed up in yogurt but she won't touch it. How would I give that to her? Do I give her an Epsom salt bath?

Attachments

• 20230414_212924.jpg
    20230414_212924.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230414_212938.jpg
    20230414_212938.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230414_212946.jpg
    20230414_212946.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230414_212950.jpg
    20230414_212950.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230414_212954.jpg
    20230414_212954.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 2
Since she seems to be in distress, I would not soak her, it may send her over the edge.

I'd work on hydration and getting the calcium into her. For Tums, try to break it into a couple of pieces, then pop a piece into her beak and let her swallow, repeat. She may shoot the piece back out, but try anyway.
If she's not keen on drinking plain water, try a little sugar water or electrolytes, she may like that better.

I'd be inclined to say that she's having trouble expelling an egg.

Since she seems to be in distress, I would not soak her, it may send her over the edge.

I'd work on hydration and getting the calcium into her. For Tums, try to break it into a couple of pieces, then pop a piece into her beak and let her swallow, repeat. She may shoot the piece back out, but try anyway.
If she's not keen on drinking plain water, try a little sugar water or electrolytes, she may like that better.

I'd be inclined to say that she's having trouble expelling an egg.
I'll give that a try, do I give just one tums?

So it's morning and she is still doing the same thing. Her tail is now tucked and her wings are away from her body. She still hasn't eaten or drank. I was able to get a small portion of a tums down her last night along with a few drops of water.

She's still panting, pooping a yellowish color liquid, closing her eyes, and lethargic trying this soak to see if it helps. I was able to get some more tums down her.

Is her crop emptying?

I would work on hydration and get the extra calcium into her. If she's not drinking on her own, then you'll want to syringe or tube fluids into her.

Is her crop emptying?

I would work on hydration and get the extra calcium into her. If she's not drinking on her own, then you'll want to syringe or tube fluids into her.
She passed away sometime last night 😭😭😭😭😭😭 she started to drink on her own, I got some more tums into her. I'm pretty sure she was egg bound and it broke. Her last poop was REALLY yellow, almost yolk like.

Thank you for all of you advice, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom