Lethargic, poopy, not hungry, HELP!

The update is, she is at the vet until tomorrow morning...the vet and I chatted about the possibilities earlier today. They found an enlarged lump just below her breastbone that the vet suspects is her liver, enlarged from infection, or even possibly a tumor...she hasn't been eating much and was dehydrated too. The vet also did a stool smear and found what she thinks was an abnormally higher count of bacteria so she could have an infection which at this point would be the good news, because antibiotics are the cheapest direction to go. If it something like EYP, cancer or some other reproductive or internal problem, it's hard to say what without X-ray images which are too expensive or bloodwork...and even with all that there would be little they could do to treat such things. The vet suggests we try a course of oral antibiotics and see what happens over the course of 5-7 days. If she doesn't get better, or takes a turn for the worst, she said to bring her back in and they will euthanize her.
hit.gif
Poor baby girl. Prayers that she gets better.

That's the crummy part about taking chickens to the vet, it's so expensive just to try to diagnose them with all the testing that is needed. I think you are on the right track. Either this is something that will respond to moderate treatment such as antibiotic's or it's something serious that is not fixable anyway. I'd be doing the same thing.

I'm so happy you got to bring Daisy home today and that she seems to be improving!:D It's always amazed me how resilient animals can be, and chickens are no exception! Now that she has fluids and antibiotics on board, hopefully she'll enjoy a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on her condition.

Gave her a second dose of medicine tonight, she really is super good about taking it and very patient with me prying her beak open while Andy shoots the stuff in (which I'm sure doesn't taste good) Andy says he observed her eating and drinking more today, and I personally think the swollen spot seemed smaller when I felt it tonight. I hope she continues on the up, she's still thinner than normal so I hope she puts on a bit more weight too. I was afraid the other hens might sense her weakness and push her around a bit, even though she is one of my head hens, but they really haven't...and my omega hen Xena, a rather boisterous Americauna has been sticking close to her as though she knows she isn't feeling well, it's sweet.

It sure does sound like Daisy is making a comeback! Keep it going you two. So now let's put some meat on those bones of hers. There are many different types of seeds, and some of these seeds are a significant source of fats. Two of my girls' favorite seeds are the grey and white striped sunflower seed and the black oil sunflower seed. I don't give these to them very often because they will make them fat, mostly I use them for training purposes. Anyway, if Daisy likes them maybe giving her some each day for a few weeks would help her bulk up some. IDK, Just shooting out an idea...lol! Please get back to us with a report on Daisy whenever you'd like. I, for one, have subscribed to this thread.

Haha, thanks mightymax :) She still seems to be doing okay today, but I am still concerned that she hasn't laid anything since Thursday...I suppose she could be too stressed out to lay, like they are when they molt...any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't be too concerned about her not laying right now. I mean, she's just now starting to recover from a tramatic incident that could have harmed her more and possible even killed her. Chickens don't do stress. They don't do it well. They don't do it bad, either. They just don't do it. At All !!! If it's too hot, they won't lay; too cold, not then either. If the sunrise wasn't as beautiful today as it was yesterday, sorry, no eggs today; It's 1 AM and I need sleep,, so I get with you via posts sometime tomorrow. OK with you I hope! Good Night.

Hello all.

My Leghorn Daisy is about 3 yrs....and always she has been boisterous, active, the first to get up and the last to go in, and an absolute GLUTTON. Today I happened to notice when I let the girls out that she doesn't seem to be feeling well. She is usually jumping at the gate to get out, this time just hanging back....then when I brought out the food and water she is usually first to chow down and drink...today she just hung in the yard....this morning I even gave them watermelon which they LOVE, and she didn't really touch it. She can stand but seems unstable. I checked her feathers for buggers, and found only one small, yellow critter that I assumed was just benign....I didn't find any others. Her eyes and nose seem clear. Her butt was pasted with green and white diarrhea, which I cleaned off. I was afraid she hadn't eaten much so I brought her some yogurt which is usually one of her favorites, but I had to force her to take a couple bites...I decided to bring her inside for a while and she is in a straw lined box with some water which I also made sure she had a little. I have never wormed the girls because I have never suspected them before, but maybe she has them? I also read a bit about egg binding causing similar symptoms....I could try soaking her and I will try to feel for an egg but she doesn't seem stressed to lay...could it be something else? I want to try something .....I don't want to give her any medications unless someone can tell me what might be the most likely...

Today she still seems to be on the up, her appetite is still increasing and her energy level seems almost back to normal...I am hoping that the steady improvements are a good sign.
fl.gif
fingers crossed no regressions! Her feathers look better like she actually took a moment to clean them, and she's making more of her normal chicken noises too. She has 3 syringes of antibiotic left and if she is still doing well the vet said to call back and get a few more. I feel blessed to have you all to chat with and to have a vet that really took this seriously....finding a vet that will even take the time to see a chicken AND who owns them and knows something about them was extremely lucky...and they were all so thoughtful and caring towards Daisy and myself, they didn't ridicule me for bringing in a 4$ bird or ask me why I care to save a chicken...in fact they all really enjoyed spending time with Daisy who is a very sweet girl. Here's to hoping her improvements continue!

She still seems to be on the up, every day seems better in some small way. She's back to running in front of the door when I come with the food, and she's back to pushing her way in to try to be the first to eat...her feathers look better, so she must be back to preening and bathing...she even feels like she's starting to put back on a little weight...she has one more dose of antibiotics to take tonight and the vet said to call after that and check in to see about getting a few more, just so she is sure to take a full course. I hope it stays this way. Thank you so much for your support again
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom