Lethargic pullet? - not sure what to do

VikingBird

Hatching
May 5, 2022
Hey there! I've never posted here before, but I'd love some input from more experienced chicken-keepers!

I've got a four-month-old Ameraucauna chicken (hatched June 13th) that has started to act ill. I noticed a few days ago that she was lethargic, standing off away from the other birds, seemed distracted, etc. The next day, her head was scrunched way down to her shoulders, and her tail was drooping along with the same low-energy behavior. I added some apple cider vinegar to the water, and deep-cleaned the coop and run and continued to observe her... While her tail has perked up a bit, when I let them out to forage she is slow to follow the other birds (she used to be one of the leaders taking them off to new places!) and often will lay down under a tree by herself. I handled her and checked for sour crop/impacted crop, mites, bumblefoot, etc., but didn't notice any issues, other than that she feels a little bit skinny compared to the others. For the last couple days I've been giving her electrolytes in water through a syringe a couple times a day, and she seems slightly perkier, but not by much.
None of the others seem to be doing poorly at all, which is a relief, but I am so confused about what the problem could be. Everyone's poop looks very normal, too.
She still has an appetite, grazes when I let her out, etc. But I noticed today that she eats slower than the other birds, and takes a longer time at the feeder.

Is there anything I am missing? I have no idea what to check for or try next!

9FCE25BD-58E3-4577-BB87-B3481EB94170.jpeg

Here is a picture of her— her head is like that pretty much all the time.

Update: This is long overdue, but since I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, I decided to treat her with probiotics and apple cider vinegar, figuring it couldn't hurt. I'd pick her up and feed her a few ml of probiotic water or water-diltuted ACV 3 times a day for four or five days, and she started improving. It's months later, and she's back to her happy, inquisitive self. No idea what was wrong with her, but she's got her energy back and it's not a problem anymore! So I'm thankful for that!

Back
Top Bottom