Lethargic Pullet

mungosclan

Chirping
Oct 23, 2015
Looking for some advice. I added some pullets for our flock over the weekend. When I got them home I noticed one seemed a little sleepier at bedtime. When it appeared this way in the morning I immediately separated it from the others and brought it inside.

Im no expert on treating chickens but I believed the issue was an impacted crop as it was hard in the morning and hadnt emptied. I started massaging her and she started passing the poop so I was happy and thought i was making progress. She survived the night but still seems very lethargic today. Her crop felt empty this morning so I may have misdiagnosed.

She sleeps standing up and won't sit. No discharge and doesn't have any injuries. Too young to be egg bound. Seems to have some difficulty swallowing although drinks just fine.

Any suggestions. Im already hopelessly attached to her and want to save her if i can.

Attachments

• 20201109_073040.jpg
    20201109_073040.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 13
Welcome To BYC!

Where are you located in the world?
If you can get some photos of her poop that may be helpful too.

How old is she?

From the poop I can sort of see in your photo and her appearance, I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.

If you are in the US, you can find Corid in most feed stores like Tractor Supply.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

If her crop was hard in the morning it probably was an impacted crop. It may take her a few days to rebound. I had 1 in our house for a week before she was back to herself. We put a little bit of honey in her water to get her something that would give her a little more energy. Also gave her coconut oil to help slide things through. Scrambled eggs for protein and they’re soft and easier to digest. I’m sure others will have more advice for you. I’m sorry you have a sick bird.

Thanks Wyorp!

Her poop varies. Right now it is a little liquidy because i took away her food to try and clear the crop. Yesterday it looked more lumpy...wish I had grabbed a photo :) (There are some things in life you never think you'll say)

Posting a photo of this poop. It appears reddish in places but it is more brown.

Attachments

• 20201109_074746.jpg
    20201109_074746.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 7
If her crop was hard in the morning it probably was an impacted crop. It may take her a few days to rebound. I had 1 in our house for a week before she was back to herself. We put a little bit of honey in her water to get her something that would give her a little more energy. Also gave her coconut oil to help slide things through. Scrambled eggs for protein and they’re soft and easier to digest. I’m sure others will have more advice for you. I’m sorry you have a sick bird.
Thank you! That also gives me some hope :) I did scramble an egg this morning but she hasn't shown any interest.

Her crop felt empty this morning so I may have misdiagnosed.
Thanks Wyorp!

Her poop varies. Right now it is a little liquidy because i took away her food to try and clear the crop. Yesterday it looked more lumpy...wish I had grabbed a photo :) (There are some things in life you never think you'll say)

Posting a photo of this poop. It appears reddish in places but it is more brown.
I see some intestinal shedding in there and it looks like mucous in there too.
I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Monitor her crop like you have been doing and see that it's emptying. You may find you need to repeat your crop treatment too.

I think I would drench her with a direct dose of Corid too - this is in addition to her drinking (or you syringing) the mixed Corid water into her several times a day. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

It truly was touch and go for days. We almost lost her. So she’s definitely not out of the woods. The poo does look odd. I know Alice’s was strange too sometimes pure water sometimes not. We never knew what we’d see. It would be good to know what caused her back up. It could be worms or yeast or something she ate. Ours ate stuff she shouldn’t have - pine mulch 🤦🏻‍♀️ and ended up with yeast. So she got Monistat cream twice a day orally.

It truly was touch and go for days. We almost lost her. So she’s definitely not out of the woods. The poo does look odd. I know Alice’s was strange too sometimes pure water sometimes not. We never knew what we’d see. It would be good to know what caused her back up. It could be worms or yeast or something she ate. Ours ate stuff she shouldn’t have - pine mulch 🤦🏻‍♀️ and ended up with yeast. So she got Monistat cream twice a day orally.
Yes, she still looks very ill so I won't hold my breath. Sometimes she perks up and gets all chirpy but then it's just too much for her and she falls asleep.

As I've only had her for less than 48 hours I'm coming in blind. Poor thing. She's a fighter though.

I see some intestinal shedding in there and it looks like mucous in there too.
I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Monitor her crop like you have been doing and see that it's emptying. You may find you need to repeat your crop treatment too.

I think I would drench her with a direct dose of Corid too - this is in addition to her drinking (or you syringing) the mixed Corid water into her several times a day. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
I'll give tractor supply a call and see if they have it. Should i take her food and water away for now?

I'll give tractor supply a call and see if they have it. Should i take her food and water away for now?
Always make water available - hydration is most important. If her crop is empty, I would not take away feed, leave her with some wet mushy food.
You may have to encourage her to drink or if syringe fluids into her several times a day.

Back
Top Bottom